Pass/No Pass and my options Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RainyDayPlay

New

Pass/No Pass and my options

Post by RainyDayPlay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 pm

I have searched all over the board and haven't seen answers to my specific question. My school, like most, only allows you to take so many P/NP classes in your undergraduate career. This is defined as 12 credits out of the 180 that are required for graduation. Since I came in with quite a few credits I realized that I could take more than the regular 12 P/NP credits and still be fine to graduate. As of now I have elected to change the grading option to P/NP for 20 credits. I will not do this any more. I am in my junior year.
Now that I know law school is the choice for me, I am worried what 24 P/NP credits will mean to an admissions committee. The classes weren't particularly hard and I'm sure I could get 'A' grades in them. At the end of my senior year I am going have ~210 credits instead of the required 180. I am wondering how I should go about rectifying my mistake.

1. Since I have so many credits, I could spend this Spring term before my senior year retaking 16 of the 24 P/NP credits for a grade. I realize the first "P" grade will still show up on my transcript, though. Would this look any better to the schools I am applying to?
2. I could write an addendum explaining my foolish mistake. Would this help? I imagine it might only hurt me.
3. If I do nothing, what will this mean? How will this be viewed by an admissions committee?

For the record, I have a 4.02 UGPA and will be studying for the LSAT this summer with hopes to get in at T14 schools.

Thank you for your time.

z0rk

Bronze

Re: Pass/No Pass and my options

Post by z0rk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm

I honestly don't see what re-taking a course would prove. You already studied the materials and passed, taking it a second time for a letter grade would only prove that you retained the knowledge you acquired and utilized it for a superior letter grade (assuming you get a superior letter grade). In my own opinion, taking a course twice would not nullify the fact that you took it P/NP.

Your original post failed to state why you chose to take these specific courses P/NP. Before drafting an addendum you might want to hash out that issue to determine if its worth it. Were you dodging difficult content? did you take them at a difficult time in life? You state that you felt these course were easy. If you wrote that in an addendum and I read it as a member of an AdCom I would be suspicious - if you could have received an A grade why didn't you go for it? What was the reason, and how would you present that reason in a favorable way to an admissions committee?

RainyDayPlay

New

Post by RainyDayPlay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:22 pm

Thank you for your response. The reason I chose to take the courses pass/fail was to reduce stress. I suffer from serious anxiety and obsessive compulsive tendencies that have gotten better in part from my own maturation but also due to a long quest to find the right group of prescription drugs that helped ease the problem.
Of the 6 courses I elected to take P/NP I received 4 'A' grades and 2 'A-' grades. By electing to take them P/NP my stress was reduced to manageable levels. Although those grades average out to a bit lower than my current UGPA, I wasn't simply taking the classes to avoid a B or C grade.
It's definitely fair to say that electing to take the classes P/NP was a cop out, but I stand by my decision to do so as I feel it was necessary for my sanity. It may sound naive, but I never realized how negatively the choice could impact me in the future.
Feedback is appreciated, but I would not like to hear that I should rethink law school because it too will be stressful. My anxiety has become increasingly more manageable.

Edit: This is all medically documented at my university

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:54 pm

In this case I think your best course of action is to not submit an addendum and just apply. No sense in bringing attention to the issue because I don't see any benefit in discussing your courseload. Don't lose any sleep either, the adcomm will see your total credit amount in the report. Just focus on getting good grades for the rest of school and work on a good LSAT score. I wish you luck.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:58 pm

I've definitely answered this question before and TCR is that LSAC does not include these in your LSDAS GPA and adcoms won't even see them (or if they do, won't care).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Yep, no sense worrying about this. Just apply with your transcript as is and you'll be fine.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:38 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I've definitely answered this question before and TCR is that LSAC does not include these in your LSDAS GPA and adcoms won't even see them (or if they do, won't care).
I'm pretty sure they will see them on the transcript, but they definitely won't care. Even taking out the P/NP credits, you have enough for your degree. Don't worry about it. You are in great shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”