UVA ED Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ganggreen

Bronze

UVA ED

Post by ganggreen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:00 am

Reverse splitter: 164, 3.89 at a top-10 b-school

I honestly had not considered EDing anywhere before, but it looks like my chances at UVA would be helped a bit. First question: already submitted my UVA app, so is it even possible to contact them and change my application to ED?

My strategy was to apply to a bunch of schools-- 26 of them, 17 of which waived the app fee -- and hope I get in to something in the T-14 (and if not, somewhere like Fordham/GW/BU). But after looking into UVA a lot recently, I'm honestly willing to give up what little chance I have to get into Penn/Northwestern/Duke/Michigan/Cornell/NYU/Berkeley/Stanford to improve my chances there.

Thoughts?

luxxe

Silver

Re: UVA ED

Post by luxxe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:56 pm

You have no chance at the T-14 unless you ED UVA (or you are a URM).

You can change your app from RD to ED.

eta: Also, with your LSAT, you probably aren't looking at any money at Fordham/BU/BC.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/swalto/jd

Here is someone who your numbers who applied last year, got nothing at Fordham and rejected/WL'd from BU/BC. I would not pay sticker at any of those schools and would ED to UVA if I had your numbers.

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:23 pm

luxxe wrote:You have no chance at the T-14 unless you ED UVA (or you are a URM).

eta: Also, with your LSAT, you probably aren't looking at any money at Fordham/BU/BC.

Here is someone who your numbers who applied last year, got nothing at Fordham and rejected/WL'd from BU/BC. I would not pay sticker at any of those schools and would ED to UVA if I had your numbers.
Ok and how would you feel, today, if you were a UVA grad $180,000 in debt? And who knows what the job market will look like in 3-4 years. Now I have to ask myself whether I'm willing to sign my life away and take on all that debt, or go somewhere that may give me money (Seton Hall, UNC, W&L, W&M).

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:29 pm

ganggreen wrote:
luxxe wrote:You have no chance at the T-14 unless you ED UVA (or you are a URM).

Ok and how would you feel, today, if you were a UVA grad $180,000 in debt? And who knows what the job market will look like in 3-4 years. Now I have to ask myself whether I'm willing to sign my life away and take on all that debt, or go somewhere that may give me money (Seton Hall, UNC, W&L, W&M).
I actually applied ED to another school, so I will be $200k+ in debt in 3.5 years (assuming I am actually accepted) - so I have considered the debt burden. Job prospects are my number one priority and schools like UVA have great LRAP programs whereas many (if not most?) lower ranked schools don't.

Also, looking at LSN, W&M generally WL's people with 164, but peopleat W&L with your numbers last year got anywhere from $0 - $84k. I would absolutely not attend Seton Hall, even with significant $$$.

moshid

New

Post by moshid » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:56 pm

I'm considering this as well, and have very similar numbers. Do the OP and I really have no shot at T14? I'm thinking if I get waitlisted/rejected at Cornell and Gtown (probably my best chances at T14) I'll switch from RD to ED at UVA. Like the OP, I already applied, and very early in the cycle too. Hopefully it won't be too late.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

allmodcons

New

Post by allmodcons » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:06 pm

Last edited by allmodcons on Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:49 pm

luxxe wrote:
ganggreen wrote:

I actually applied ED to another school, so I will be $200k+ in debt in 3.5 years (assuming I am actually accepted) - so I have considered the debt burden. Job prospects are my number one priority and schools like UVA have great LRAP programs whereas many (if not most?) lower ranked schools don't.

Also, looking at LSN, W&M generally WL's people with 164, but peopleat W&L with your numbers last year got anywhere from $0 - $84k. I would absolutely not attend Seton Hall, even with significant $$$.
Rounding out my schools applied to outside of the top 30: Wake Forest, Brooklyn, Rutgers. I have been reading a lot of bad things about Seton Hall... but hypothetically, if I got full rides at SHU and Rutgers (I'm in-state), you could justify passing on SHU?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like these are my 3 scenarios, from best to worst:
1. Sticker at UVA (ED, if I somehow get in)
2. Pay a lot less at a school outside the top 30
3. Pay sticker at a school ranked 15-30 (like a Fordham/BC/BU)

The one advantage to option 2 is that if I can manage top 4% at a pretty selective undergrad, I could hopefully pull off top 10% in a sub-top 30 law school (and yes, I know law school does not equal undergrad). I wouldn't mind working in NJ, and if I can manage to really stand out at Rutgers/SHU, perhaps I could get a decent job after graduation.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:52 pm

ganggreen wrote:

I'm not a huge proponent of sticker outside the T6, but compared to your other likely options, UVA ED is probably the best call

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:44 pm

ganggreen wrote: Rounding out my schools applied to outside of the top 30: Wake Forest, Brooklyn, Rutgers. I have been reading a lot of bad things about Seton Hall... but hypothetically, if I got full rides at SHU and Rutgers (I'm in-state), you could justify passing on SHU?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like these are my 3 scenarios, from best to worst:
1. Sticker at UVA (ED, if I somehow get in)
2. Pay a lot less at a school outside the top 30
3. Pay sticker at a school ranked 15-30 (like a Fordham/BC/BU)

The one advantage to option 2 is that if I can manage top 4% at a pretty selective undergrad, I could hopefully pull off top 10% in a sub-top 30 law school (and yes, I know law school does not equal undergrad). I wouldn't mind working in NJ, and if I can manage to really stand out at Rutgers/SHU, perhaps I could get a decent job after graduation.
I, personally, would not spend 3 years going to SHU, Rutgers, or Brooklyn. Even with a full-ride. You will (presumably) have loans for COL... that will be, what, well over $20k+ in debt? More at Brooklyn. If you are certain you don't want to work outside of NJ/NC, full-ride at Rutgers/Wake Forest may not be terrible, but I think it is really important that you are realistic about the job opportunities and the amount of debt these schools are worth/if you will be able to pay it off. I absolutely would not pay a significant amount for tuition.

Don't assume you can get top 10%. But, your justification at the end is why I ED'd to a T6. I want to go to a school where I can finish median and still have a chance at getting the type of job I want. The risks of not finishing at the top of your class at Rutgers/SHU are HUGE, and are risks I absolutely would not take.
moshid wrote:I'm considering this as well, and have very similar numbers. Do the OP and I really have no shot at T14? I'm thinking if I get waitlisted/rejected at Cornell and Gtown (probably my best chances at T14) I'll switch from RD to ED at UVA. Like the OP, I already applied, and very early in the cycle too. Hopefully it won't be too late.
If you are 167+ & 3.7+ you may have a shot at GULC/Cornell, but if you are any lower, I doubt you will be able to get in. Both schools have accepted 167/3.7+ this cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:55 pm

I have a 167 / 3.44...

I decided to take my 1 reach shot at T14 with Texas (I know, they're a debatable T14 member), but I was denied...

Would it be worth it trying ED VA this late?

I mean, I'm well below median LSAT, and below 25th percentile GPA... lol

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:57 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I have a 167 / 3.44...

I decided to take my 1 reach shot at T14 with Texas (I know, they're a debatable T14 member), but I was denied...

UVA usually only accepts ED candidates that are above one median (3.85/170).

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:03 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I have a 167 / 3.44...

I mean, I'm well below median LSAT, and below 25th percentile GPA... lol
Sorry to say, but without URM, you wont get in most likely :(

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:04 pm

ganggreen wrote:Reverse splitter: 164, 3.89 at a top-10 b-school

I honestly had not considered EDing anywhere before, but it looks like my chances at UVA would be helped a bit. First question: already submitted my UVA app, so is it even possible to contact them and change my application to ED?

My strategy was to apply to a bunch of schools-- 26 of them, 17 of which waived the app fee -- and hope I get in to something in the T-14 (and if not, somewhere like Fordham/GW/BU). But after looking into UVA a lot recently, I'm honestly willing to give up what little chance I have to get into Penn/Northwestern/Duke/Michigan/Cornell/NYU/Berkeley/Stanford to improve my chances there.

Thoughts?
This may very well be wrong but UVA seems to be WL people with those numbers this year as opposed to years passed. They only thing I can think of is trying to raise their GPA median to 3.9 but I hope this is not the case. Your best bet is UVA ED but they dont have a deadline (I think) so you can wait it out a little longer and see your other options

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

moshid

New

Post by moshid » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:43 pm

luxxe wrote:
moshid wrote:I'm considering this as well, and have very similar numbers. Do the OP and I really have no shot at T14? I'm thinking if I get waitlisted/rejected at Cornell and Gtown (probably my best chances at T14) I'll switch from RD to ED at UVA. Like the OP, I already applied, and very early in the cycle too. Hopefully it won't be too late.
If you are 167+ & 3.7+ you may have a shot at GULC/Cornell, but if you are any lower, I doubt you will be able to get in. Both schools have accepted 167/3.7+ this cycle.
I'm right at 75th for GPA but below 25th for LSAT at UVA. I've applied ED to a much more selective school (which I realize I have barely any chance of getting in). I applied to both schools on the first day I possibly could. Do you think withdrawing ED from the more selective school and applying ED to UVA would still help me out, or should I just wait it out?

username08

Bronze

Post by username08 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:27 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm also thinking about doing this if I get rejected by my ED school. Went complete at UVA a little bit over a month ago.

172/3.8 so I feel like if I if I switch to ED I'll have a very good chance and I would be more than happy to attend UVA, but at the same time I think I have a shot at some other t14 schools too so I'm a little bit torn.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:32 pm

username08 wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm also thinking about doing this if I get rejected by my ED school. Went complete at UVA a little bit over a month ago.

172/3.8 so I feel like if I if I switch to ED I'll have a very good chance and I would be more than happy to attend UVA, but at the same time I think I have a shot at some other t14 schools too so I'm a little bit torn.
I'd say you have a shot at UVA without ED. Put out apps to other T14s that you want, too.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:30 am

username08 wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm also thinking about doing this if I get rejected by my ED school. Went complete at UVA a little bit over a month ago.

wait a while. They won't straight reject your numbers, and if you get WLd and dinged everywhere else, you can switch to ED

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”