Interview Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fakehunter

Bronze

Interview Question

Post by fakehunter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:12 pm

Lots of people are complaining about this thread, so sorry I wasted your time.
Last edited by fakehunter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bernaldiaz

Gold

Re: Interview Question

Post by bernaldiaz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:20 pm

fakehunter wrote:Yesterday I received an offer to interview for Georgetown, and today I got an email from the alum that they set me up with. She asked if I would be available to interview with her at 7:30 some morning. I'm really, really really not a morning person, and I know I will not be able to perform my best at the time. Does anyone have an opinion how bad it would look if I ask if she could meet at another time? I would say something like that meeting that early did not really work with my class schedule. Also, does anyone know how important the Georgetown interview is? I'm assuming it probably matters on a case-by-case basis, but I figured I'd ask.

(And yes, I'm aware my future as a lawyer will have some days that start that early, but hopefully I'll be better at waking up when I'm not on a college schedule.)
You can't just suck it up for one morning? Wake up at 6, go for a quick run, shower and eat a good breakfast. You'll be ready to go by the time 730 rolls around.

fakehunter

Bronze

Post by fakehunter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 pm

See above.
Last edited by fakehunter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 pm

The purpose of Georgetown interviews is to help narrow down borderline candidates. Do you think it's a good idea to begin this process by lying to your interviewer? Frankly, she shouldn't have to re-arrange her day to accommodate your shortcomings. This is an issue of sucking it up.

Go to sleep extra early the night before, then wake up well, well before 7:30 the morning of the interview. By the time you get there, you will have been awake for four or five hours -- midday for your internal clock.
Last edited by North on Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:29 pm

Second time rolling my eyes this week about interview times. A few days ago, another poster living abroad complained that his or her KB1 interview time was way too early in the morning... Seriously folks? Come on this is ridiculous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:32 pm

Even better, go to Asia for a week, come back and don't readjust to our time zone until afterwards.

bbalcrzy23

Bronze

Post by bbalcrzy23 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Last edited by bbalcrzy23 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fakehunter

Bronze

Post by fakehunter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Once again.
Last edited by fakehunter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 pm

You would be crazy to ask for a different time. Mention that you're not a morning person when you get there, you can both chuckle about it, and do your best on the interview.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:36 pm

fakehunter wrote:Thanks for all your *very* helpful advice, guys. Anyone who doesn't want to judge/mock me have an answer to my question?
You have an answer. Do not lie to your interviewer about your class schedule. Wake up early. Go to the interview at the time she wants to have it.

Or, better yet, you could withdraw your application and leave that spot open for someone who would wake up at any hour on any day to get to that interview.

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:44 pm

North wrote:
fakehunter wrote:Thanks for all your *very* helpful advice, guys. Anyone who doesn't want to judge/mock me have an answer to my question?
You have an answer. Do not lie to your interviewer about your class schedule. Wake up early. Go to the interview at the time she wants to have it.

Or, better yet, you could withdraw your application and leave that spot open for someone who would wake up at any hour on any day to get to that interview.
^this please

nygrl

New

Post by nygrl » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 pm

The person you interview with is probably very busy and won't be analyzing your decision to reschedule. Is it a little inconsiderate? Maybe. But I don't think rescheduling would look poorly on you as a candidate, provided you don't lie about it or give a lame excuse. (I'm not sure if saying you have a conflict with class would fly - I don't know of any classes that start that early and most of my professors would have been fine with me cutting class for a law school interview).

If you really want to move the interview time, I would suggest writing back saying that the date/time doesn't work and you would like to coordinate something else. I don't think it's necessary to get into why you wouldn't be able to attend. If there are any times that don't work with your schedule you should definitely mention that as well. I would say go with whatever the interviewer proposes the second time around.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:16 am

Interviewer scheduled this before the start of his/her work day.... They are starting their day a bit early (or delaying the start of their business day) for you. Don't reschedule because you're too lazy to change your sleep schedule for an interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 am

Trust me, the interviewer will know exactly why you are trying to reschedule if you ask to meet at a later time of day. Don't do it.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:27 am

The right answer is do whatever it takes to be on your game early in the morning.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 am

fakehunter wrote:Yesterday I received an offer to interview for Georgetown, and today I got an email from the alum that they set me up with. She asked if I would be available to interview with her at 7:30 some morning. I'm really, really really not a morning person, and I know I will not be able to perform my best at the time. Does anyone have an opinion how bad it would look if I ask if she could meet at another time? I would say something like that meeting that early did not really work with my class schedule. Also, does anyone know how important the Georgetown interview is? I'm assuming it probably matters on a case-by-case basis, but I figured I'd ask.

(And yes, I'm aware my future as a lawyer will have some days that start that early, but hopefully I'll be better at waking up when I'm not on a college schedule.)
Hahaha, lucky for those who get OP counted in the Curve for classes. 7:30 is to early? wow

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:27 pm

As an attorney, especially if you are a trial attorney, you will be held accountable to a very high standard of ethics and meeting deadlines. Imagine telling a client or a judge that you cannot meet their important deadline or hearing because it's just too early in the morning for you. Although this instance may seem insignificant in the moment, it is not wise to begin your career with minor dishonesty regarding availability and time.

I agree, 7:30 am is a bit early. I reccomend taking some melotonin in the early evening the night before, its a natural supplement you can pick up at your local vitamin store to aid with sleep issues. This may help you fall asleep earlier than usual so you can be well rested. I would also get in the habbit of waking up early leading up to the date of the interview (if you have time).

Please disregard the absurd comments about "don't go to law school". Those people are trying to get a rise out of you. You will be fine so long as you are tactful, make wise decisions, and approach situations with maturity and ethusiasm. Postponing your interview does not accomplish any of these things.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fakehunter

Bronze

Post by fakehunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 am

Thanks to all the posters who answered my question seriously and respectfully. I managed to reschedule the interview without deceiving my interviewer. -
Last edited by fakehunter on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 am

i can only imagine your attitude during OCI interviews down the road. kids...

edit: your sorry attempt to impress us by being a college newspaper editor only makes u look douchier. congrats on rescheduling your interview because you can't be bothered to wake up at a normal hour.

you better grow up before you start 1L.

boosk

Bronze

Post by boosk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:15 am

this thread sucks

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:32 am

just don't go to bed the night before... best college solution to early morning things.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cidergirl

New

Post by cidergirl » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:39 am

i can't even believe you considered lying about your schedule in the first place, much less that you had the audacity to ask if lying would be acceptable on a law school admissions forum...

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:40 am

fakehunter wrote:Thanks to all the posters who answered my question seriously and respectfully. I managed to reschedule the interview without deceiving my interviewer - I can't go to sleep early because my position as a senior college newspaper editor keeps me up way too late to be a respectable being if I needed to wake up at 6am. Luckily I won't have that issue when I graduate.
Now you just have to hope that your interviewer doesn't read TLS.

Also, if that's the excuse you gave, you're already walking into the interview with a strike against you. Good luck!

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 am

HBK wrote:
fakehunter wrote:Thanks to all the posters who answered my question seriously and respectfully. I managed to reschedule the interview without deceiving my interviewer - I can't go to sleep early because my position as a senior college newspaper editor keeps me up way too late to be a respectable being if I needed to wake up at 6am. Luckily I won't have that issue when I graduate.
Now you just have to hope that your interviewer doesn't read TLS.

Also, if that's the excuse you gave, you're already walking into the interview with a strike against you. Good luck!
Even if they don't, Georgetown admissions ppl DEFINITELY do and you can be sure they saw this. Wouldn't be hard to send a blast to interviewers with a link to this thread. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

If the 7:30am reschedule doesn't out OP, senior editor of the newspaper definitely does.

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:42 am

OP, you are most likely going to have to wake up early every single day in law school, so get used to it. I'm not a morning person either but I deal with it. I had 2 hours of sleep the other day and was in class and reviews from 8 am till 5 pm

DEAL WITH IT. This thread pisses me off.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”