IS IT BAD TO LIST THE OTHER SCHOOLS THAT YOU APPLY TO? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ggibelli

Bronze

Re: IS IT BAD TO LIST THE OTHER SCHOOLS THAT YOU APPLY TO?

Post by ggibelli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:18 am

i mean the question isn't one that you are required to answer, so you can do whatever you feel like

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 am

Gail wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:I'm personally getting really tired of these "should I start off my legal career by lying" questions. Answer the question honestly, submit a "why George Mason" if you're that worried about getting in there.

But c'mon guys, don't lie on an application to law school. That's absurd.
I would not characterize not listing every single school you are applying to as lying - as if it were the same thing as using a false SSN or claiming to be a citizen when, in fact, you are not. Talk about absurd.
So big lies are a no go but small lies are cool? You're welcome to fill out your application any way you'd like, but I personally prefer to answer every single question honestly.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:53 am

I don't think this is really a big deal. I listed all of the schools I planned on applying to, even though in the end I didn't apply to some and I ended up applying to others. I didn't feel the need to update the schools with a new list. I doubt they would care.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:28 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
So big lies are a no go but small lies are cool?
I hate marketing questions. This is a marketing question for future marketing questions. I answered some and just skipped over others because I wasn't feeling as charitable with my time.

I don't characterize not answering a not required question as lying.

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:31 am

Gail wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:
I hate marketing questions. This is a marketing question for future marketing questions. I answered some and just skipped over others because I wasn't feeling as charitable with my time.

+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:34 am

I was actually rejected from GMU for being above both 75ths and listing the other schools I was applying to. They figured they wouldn't be able to give me enough money to convince me to attend, so they rejected me. This isn't bitter speculation. The dean of admissions actually told me so.

bobbyh1919

Silver

Post by bobbyh1919 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:41 am

Gail wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:

Agree to disagree. I don't think its a huge deal, but I'm disappointed in the number of threads that pop up literally every day where people are trying to hide things from admissions committees, whether it be school applications, transcripts, C&F stuff, etc.

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:48 am

bobbyh1919 wrote:
Gail wrote:
bobbyh1919 wrote:

Agree to disagree. I don't think its a huge deal, but I'm disappointed in the number of threads that pop up literally every day where people are trying to hide things from admissions committees, whether it be school applications, transcripts, C&F stuff, etc.
:roll: as if the law schools don't hide anything from us.. (true employment stats, # of scholarships lost each year due to stips, etc)

I don't see anything wrong with withholding information that isn't required. I do agree with you that it's stupid seeing the same threads about whether or not to disclose something on C&F but this isn't something required.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:30 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ggibelli

Bronze

Post by ggibelli » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:50 pm

paul34 wrote: Well, you can choose not to answer. "Whatever you feel like" would also include lying, which isn't really credited, even on an optional question. You either answer, or you don't.
I meant do whatever you feel like in the sense of answering or not.
paul34 wrote: Somebody wronging you does not then justify your own stooping down to such a level.
You're right. Not answering an optional question would be stooping down to such an awfully low level. Please let me follow you on this golden path of perfection :roll:

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:01 pm

What is all this?

They ask where you're planning to apply. If you're applying to GMU and while looking at this question have the fleeting intent to apply to peer schools, it doesn't matter that you don't follow through with the intent, it's not a lie to claim you intent to apply to peer schools. People's plans change all the time, and you certainly can't accuse anyone of lying because you don't know what their true intentions are.

clarified_butter

Bronze

Post by clarified_butter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:35 am

Wow that is harsh! It makes me really wonder what will happen to some of my applications once they are reviewed.
HeavenWood wrote:I was actually rejected from GMU for being above both 75ths and listing the other schools I was applying to. They figured they wouldn't be able to give me enough money to convince me to attend, so they rejected me. This isn't bitter speculation. The dean of admissions actually told me so.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:12 am

clarified_butter wrote:Wow that is harsh! It makes me really wonder what will happen to some of my applications once they are reviewed.
HeavenWood wrote:I was actually rejected from GMU for being above both 75ths and listing the other schools I was applying to. They figured they wouldn't be able to give me enough money to convince me to attend, so they rejected me. This isn't bitter speculation. The dean of admissions actually told me so.
It's not harsh, it's standard - I'd have rejected him too. Michigan looked at my numbers, waitlisted me and said, "shit or get off the pot." They gotta yield protect I guess.

clarified_butter

Bronze

Post by clarified_butter » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 am

This is good information to know in advance...I guess that I won't be too suprised later on then.
ahduth wrote:
clarified_butter wrote:Wow that is harsh! It makes me really wonder what will happen to some of my applications once they are reviewed.
It's not harsh, it's standard - I'd have rejected him too. Michigan looked at my numbers, waitlisted me and said, "shit or get off the pot." They gotta yield protect I guess.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”