1 year suspension. Have I ruined everything? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FloridaCoastalorbust

Silver

Re: 1 year suspension. Have I ruined everything?

Post by FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 am

1) Don't stop drinking, just 2) get better at it.

Get above medians and you'll be fine.

imo 2 arrests =/= alcohol problem. 2 arrests = bad luck
Last edited by FloridaCoastalorbust on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:08 am

Get counseling for alcohol abuse prior to your rehearing. Otherwise, a one-year suspension for alcohol related offenses is likely to affect your chances for admission to top law schools & will get bar scrutiny during the C&F process.

PurplePirate

Bronze

Post by PurplePirate » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:10 am

Waiting for OP to say he/she doesn't have a drinking problem. First step, bro, first step.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:15 pm

Is your school non secular or dry? I can't imagine that, given the details you have provided, a school suspending you for an entire year. Is there something more to the story? Did you have any other disciplinary infractions, or were you on probation when the second incident occurred?

At least at my school, that is an excessive punishment. If my school punished PI, and my school is far from a party school, judicial affairs wouldn't be able to keep up with the cases. The cops at my school don't care.

You probably don't have a drinking problem.

I would suggest getting a substance abuse or forensic evaluation, because if they conclude you don't have a problem, it would help your case. If they say you have a problem, then follow their suggestions. Unless you have a history of substance abuse, they probably won't label you with a drinking problem. My friend totaled a car driving drunk, had a forensic evaluation, and the evaluator did not conclude she had a drinking problem.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:15 pm

PurplePirate wrote:Waiting for OP to say he/she doesn't have a drinking problem. First step, bro, first step.
Eh, not necessarily. There probably aren't many posters ITT who haven't been drunk in public, done stupid things while they were drunk, etc. Did you all forget your college years?

OP probably needs to get a little better at drinking responsibly and not get caught doing stupid shit (like resisting arrest), but I won't sit in judgment and say he has a "drinking problem" or that he needs to stop drinking without knowing the facts or knowing him. If I'm honest with myself, there are probably dozens of times I could have gotten cited for underage drinking, public intox, and yes (and I'm ashamed to say), maybe even a time or two that I would have qualified for a dooey. I think most people ITT are in the same boat, so let's cut out the moral high ground stuff.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

omninode

Bronze

Post by omninode » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 pm

This is why I exclusively drink indoors. Don't want to get yelled at by cops or wander into traffic.

RareBreed

New

Post by RareBreed » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:55 am

89vision wrote:Is your school non secular or dry? I can't imagine that, given the details you have provided, a school suspending you for an entire year. Is there something more to the story? Did you have any other disciplinary infractions, or were you on probation when the second incident occurred?

At least at my school, that is an excessive punishment. If my school punished PI, and my school is far from a party school, judicial affairs wouldn't be able to keep up with the cases. The cops at my school don't care.

You probably don't have a drinking problem.

I would suggest getting a substance abuse or forensic evaluation, because if they conclude you don't have a problem, it would help your case. If they say you have a problem, then follow their suggestions. Unless you have a history of substance abuse, they probably won't label you with a drinking problem. My friend totaled a car driving drunk, had a forensic evaluation, and the evaluator did not conclude she had a drinking problem.
Prior to both arrests, I was written up freshman year for having alcohol in my dorm room. The police were never involved. I had to complete some minor sanctions, and that was it. Definitely going to look into a forensic evaluation, thanks.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Disorderly conduct & resisting arrest may be the real issues. We don't know the details, but most college campuses tolerate underage drinking. OP must have put on quite a show to get arrested & cited for these offenses.

LesPaul2010

New

Post by LesPaul2010 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:52 pm

^^^ This, or the cops on your campus are complete jerks, which is possible given they busted a tailgating party. I legitimately could/should have been arrested three times during my freshman year for underage/PI. However, I cooperated with the cops, and they always let me off. They once made my friends and I dump 81 beers and 5 bottles of hard liquor down the drain- my friends thought this was worse than being arrested haha- but they never actually wrote us up.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Jah'rakal wrote:drink ur worries away
+1 you seem dumb

jeanster

New

Post by jeanster » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm

RareBreed wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Do these offenses all come from one night or was it three different incidents? (I think it would be easier for a school to forgive one stupid night vs. three different events).

Also, have you taken a PT yet? My guess is schools will be much more willing to overlook an incident for someone who is over their medians vs. at them.
Unfortunately, it was two separate incidents. The first was PI/disorderly and the second was PI/resisting. Also, I have not had the opportunity to take a PT yet. But assuming I was at both medians at a T14, would my record get me auto-dinged?
That, sir, is a bold prediction to make without ever having taken the LSAT. While you've got a good GPA, you've also got a good deal of time to still mess it up (not wishing that on you, just pointing out that college isn't over and you probably haven't hit the hardest classes yet).

Buckle down. Taking alcohol-counseling does nothing bad for you (except waste some time if you don't need it)- it would ONLY look good during an appeal. While I partied as much as the next student in college, and can appreciate that you probably don't really have a problem, the administration at your college won't view things the same way.

Also, do yourself a favor, and don't reveal much more than you already have about the second incident. This forum could come back to haunt you if someone reviewing your appeal gets wind that you're not entirely convinced that you shouldn't have gotten the second collection of charges, or that you're not entirely sincere about shaping up.

Drink up. Just don't be a dumbass about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”