LOR sent to ME for revisions?!?!? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
throwawaythrowaway

New

LOR sent to ME for revisions?!?!?

Post by throwawaythrowaway » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:03 pm

hey all..throw away account if ya couldn't tell.

one of my LOR's just emailed me a draft of the letter to revise and add to my liking and then he will send my final edited version to LSAC....this seems like a BIG no-no. Granted, the letter he sent is what I had pictured and I don't think there is anything to revise, but I KNOW i will feel guilty seeing this final letter since it should be confidential for transparency purposes.

Does anyone have advice as to how I should handle this? Should I just say oh hey looks good put it on letterhead and send it in? Should I say oh woah hey there buddy no-no now go pretend like this didn't happen?

FWIW i ovi signed the "i will never see this letter" part on the LOR form.

TLS help me out!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Re: LOR sent to ME for revisions?!?!?

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:10 pm

throwawaythrowaway wrote:hey all..throw away account if ya couldn't tell.

one of my LOR's just emailed me a draft of the letter to revise and add to my liking and then he will send my final edited version to LSAC....this seems like a BIG no-no. Granted, the letter he sent is what I had pictured and I don't think there is anything to revise, but I KNOW i will feel guilty seeing this final letter since it should be confidential for transparency purposes.

Does anyone have advice as to how I should handle this? Should I just say oh hey looks good put it on letterhead and send it in? Should I say oh woah hey there buddy no-no now go pretend like this didn't happen?

TLS help me out!
Well... the most clear, to me at least, answer is that you can't use that LOR. If you signed the form, waiving your rights to ever see the letter, then you obviously have violated that. I can't imagine you are the only person this has ever happened, to, though. If I were you, I'd ask the writer to re-write the essay, not show it to you, and submit it.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
throwawaythrowaway wrote:hey all..throw away account if ya couldn't tell.

TLS help me out!
Well... the most clear, to me at least, answer is that you can't use that LOR. If you signed the form, waiving your rights to ever see the letter, then you obviously have violated that. I can't imagine you are the only person this has ever happened, to, though. If I were you, I'd ask the writer to re-write the essay, not show it to you, and submit it.
You're allowed to see your letter of recommendation. The waiver you sign waives the right under some act to see the letter of recommendation when you matriculate to the school and it's in your student file. Nothing wrong with seeing the letter. I would probably read it, and then see what you think.

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:00 pm

I had a professor do exactly the same thing. I just said, "Yep, looks good!"

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

throwawaythrowaway

New

Post by throwawaythrowaway » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
This is incorrect. Check out the FAQ for a lengthier explanation: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=131727

But TL;DR you're fine. Waiver applies for after you enroll.

Ah! Thanks so much! Should of searched first buuut I was in freak-out mode. I will send him my slight revisions and have a boss LOR.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:13 pm

throwawaythrowaway wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
This is incorrect. Check out the FAQ for a lengthier explanation: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=131727

Ah! Thanks so much! Should of searched first buuut I was in freak-out mode. I will send him my slight revisions and have a boss LOR.
ಠ_ಠ

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:20 pm

What if your boss tells you to write it and he'll look it over and sign it?

I don't see what the problem is. I mean, he's the one saying its all true. He doesn't have to sign it if you embellish or lie.

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 pm

paul34 wrote:
HBK wrote:What if your boss tells you to write it and he'll look it over and sign it?

I don't see what the problem is. I mean, he's the one saying its all true. He doesn't have to sign it if you embellish or lie.
This is generally considered to be a no-no.
By whom?

paul34

Bronze

Post by paul34 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:13 am

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

throwawaythrowaway

New

Post by throwawaythrowaway » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 am

Yeah, writing the letter for someone is deff not ok.

Normally in this situation I would feel guilty enough... I do think of this situation as an advantage but the one revision I have for him is that he put I held a particular position for 2 years when it was actually 1.

Thanks for everyones input and good luck to all applying this cycle!

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:53 am

paul34 wrote:
HBK wrote:
paul34 wrote:
HBK wrote:What if your boss tells you to write it and he'll look it over and sign it?

This is generally considered to be a no-no.
By whom?
Check out the Applicant FAQ posted a few posts up by acrossthelake. Read a few questions down under the "Letters of Recommendation" section.
Okay, so it's not against the rules then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:38 am

its not against the rules...but its a no no because its not recommended

hard to write about urself objectively...run into 1 of 3 problems

1) too humble

2) not humble enough

3) its just plain freaking weird writing a LOR for urself....

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 am

acrossthelake wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Technically I think waiver applies for after the letter is mailed to LSAC. But either way, TITCR.

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 pm

throwawaythrowaway wrote:Yeah, writing the letter for someone is deff not ok.

Normally in this situation I would feel guilty enough... I do think of this situation as an advantage but the one revision I have for him is that he put I held a particular position for 2 years when it was actually 1.

Thanks for everyones input and good luck to all applying this cycle!
B-school LORs are very commonly written by applicants. Managers often request it because they are so extensive. Obviously MBA apps are a totally different beast so I'm not even sure why I'm mentioning it! Just thought it would be interesting to mention..

I think for the purposes of a LS app, I would feel uncomfortable writing it but I wouldn't mind doing the 1st draft if I were applying to bschool (and my manager asked me to). I guess it says something about the ethics of LS vs Bschool maybe.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:37 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”