Character and Fitness Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rosenbiems

New

Character and Fitness Question

Post by rosenbiems » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:20 am

Last edited by rosenbiems on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No13baby

Bronze

Re: Character and Fitness Question

Post by No13baby » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:04 am

If you search for "addendum critique" in the personal statement forum (or probably this one) you should be able to find samples. People will be happy to help you edit yours if you post it, too.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:06 am

Say as little as possible, explain what you learned, and how you've matured so it won't be a problem in the future. Put in as much detail as you think it needs and then cut it in half. They should be barebones.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Blowhard and a picture of a dog? Am I reading that wrong?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:06 pm

89vision wrote:Blowhard and a picture of a dog? Am I reading that wrong?
It's a play on my old screen name...people used to read it wrong so I just changed it. What's wrong with my dog?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 pm

blowhard wrote:
It's a play on my old screen name...people used to read it wrong so I just changed it. What's wrong with my dog?
blow hard=bj reference? not explaining the dog bit. sorry, I have a bunch of guy friends..

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:05 pm

89vision wrote:
blowhard wrote:
blow hard=bj reference? not explaining the dog bit. sorry, I have a bunch of guy friends..
wut

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:05 pm

89vision wrote:
blowhard wrote:
I don't think that word means what you think it means. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blowhard.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:07 pm

Bronte wrote:
89vision wrote:
blowhard wrote:
I don't think that word means what you think it means. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=blowhard.
Damn, you beat me to it. And no, that doesn't describe me. Everyone thought my old sn said that but it didn't...and I needed to anonymize for OCI season so I just changed it to that so people knew it was still me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:10 pm

blowhard wrote:Damn, you beat me to it. And no, that doesn't describe me. Everyone thought my old sn said that but it didn't...and I needed to anonymize for OCI season so I just changed it to that so people knew it was still me.
I remember. Your old SN is why I knew who you were IRL.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:12 pm

Bronte wrote:
blowhard wrote:Damn, you beat me to it. And no, that doesn't describe me. Everyone thought my old sn said that but it didn't...and I needed to anonymize for OCI season so I just changed it to that so people knew it was still me.
That was for the other poster. I'd hope you recognize I'm not a blowhard without me telling you... :?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:20 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bronte wrote:
That was for the other poster. I'd hope you recognize I'm not a blowhard without me telling you... :?
Don't worry, I don't think you're a blowhard.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:41 am

Bronte wrote:
89vision wrote:
blowhard wrote:
That's not what it means where I'm from. Listen to a rap song. Or just google blow hard with a sex term. I'm not really going to cite sources to those types of links. I mean, you've never heard a guy say "she blew me hard?" or the like.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:44 am

89vision wrote:
That's not what it means where I'm from. Listen to a rap song. Or just google blow hard with a sex term. I'm not really going to cite sources to those types of links. I mean, you've never heard a guy say "she blew me hard?" or the like.
Face palm.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:46 am

stillwater wrote:
89vision wrote:
Face palm.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:56 am

89vision wrote:
You realize blowhard is one word, and "blow/blew hard" is two right? There is also some contextual difference between a sn on a lawschool website and a rap song, or even inclusion of the word "she". I hear if you google banana and a sex term you get hits so obviously that's the only context of the word. Or the fact that blunt returns drug references means its only about drugs? Or pipe? Or smoke? Or facial? Or dog? Or pig?

I'm willing to bet it means exactly the same thing where you're from.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:15 pm

blowhard wrote:
89vision wrote:
You realize blowhard is one word, and "blow/blew hard" is two right? There is also some contextual difference between a sn on a lawschool website and a rap song, or even inclusion of the word "she". I hear if you google banana and a sex term you get hits so obviously that's the only context of the word. Or the fact that blunt returns drug references means its only about drugs? Or pipe? Or smoke? Or facial? Or dog? Or pig?

I'm in awe of this entire conversation. Instead of admitting she was ignorant and naive regarding a word, she doubled down in trying to defend her asinine definition. On top of that, her understanding of basic English words is on the same level as Beavis's.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rosenbiems

New

Post by rosenbiems » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Last edited by rosenbiems on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Last edited by 03121202698008 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:54 pm

During the fall of my sophomore year, I made three mistakes: blah 1, blah 2, blah 3. After blahs, I attended group meetings, attended online workshops and met with an individual counselor over the course of blah blah. Following these steps, I refocused on my academics and have not had any interactions that would raise any concerns relating to character and fitness to practice law.

Or something equally short and sweet, but hopefully more refined as I put that together in 30 seconds.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:11 pm

blowhard wrote:
89vision wrote:

Rap songs are closer to the real world than this forum...and I'm from the affluent suburbs and going to school in a city. In both places, the term means something completely different.

Definitions are socially constructed. Objectivity is a myth.

Also, did I say blowhard only references what I mentioned? No. You are making a straw man. I asked if the reference was based on what that term generally means when I hear the term. Please do not equate that with me stating that I thought the term only meant one thing. Why would I ask what the term meant if I thought it had only one definition? Jeeze, people on here love straw mans...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:55 pm

89vision wrote:Rap songs are closer to the real world than this forum...and I'm from the affluent suburbs and going to school in a city. In both places, the term means something completely different.

Definitions are socially constructed. Objectivity is a myth.

Also, did I say blowhard only references what I mentioned? No. You are making a straw man. I asked if the reference was based on what that term generally means when I hear the term. Please do not equate that with me stating that I thought the term only meant one thing. Why would I ask what the term meant if I thought it had only one definition? Jeeze, people on here love straw mans...
"Blow" is a verb sometimes meaning "to give oral sex," a meaning that it has everywhere in the country. "Blowhard" is a term that does not pertain to oral sex. Not in your affluent suburb or anywhere else. You got confused. Just give it up.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:12 am

I like how this thread bobs and weaves between being C&F-centric and making fun of 89. And btw, 89vision. I don't care if you're from the suburbs or the inner city or some random farming town. Blowhard has never meant what you think it means. It's like trying to argue that thumbtack is a thumb deformed into a point because you were able to break down the compound word into it's parts and justify it to yourself that it means that. Yes, words are socially constructed, but they're not individually constructed. There has to be some consensus that a word means x for it to mean x and you're the only crazy person that thinks blowhard is not somebody who boasts in an annoying fashion.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:25 pm

It is not even worth explaining at this point. A fool is always a fool.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:27 pm

TommyK wrote:I like how this thread bobs and weaves between being C&F-centric and making fun of 89. And btw, 89vision. I don't care if you're from the suburbs or the inner city or some random farming town. Blowhard has never meant what you think it means. It's like trying to argue that thumbtack is a thumb deformed into a point because you were able to break down the compound word into it's parts and justify it to yourself that it means that. Yes, words are socially constructed, but they're not individually constructed. There has to be some consensus that a word means x for it to mean x and you're the only crazy person that thinks blowhard is not somebody who boasts in an annoying fashion.
It means different things in different social groups. Maybe not the one you're from. I'm not saying it always means one thing, but it does within circles I have belonged to. I simply asked if that term meant what I thought it did, and explained that it means something different than the sn. You seriously can't deny that groups of people don't think bh means something other than what the persons sn is meant to state. I don't understand how you can say bh doesn't have multiple meanings. That's a horrid argument. You are, again, using a straw man. I don't know how many times I need to explain I never stated bh meant only what I thought it referenced. I only stated it had a different meaning to me based on my environment, associations, friends, cultural experience. I have never head bh used the way you guys have. Unlike you, I am not arguing it only means 1 thing. Stop using straw man arguments. Please.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”