Answered Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dream Machine

Bronze

Answered

Post by Dream Machine » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Last edited by Dream Machine on Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Re: Phi Beta Kappa?

Post by DocHawkeye » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:00 pm

I don't know for certain that it will make a difference in your cycle, but I would probably send an email to the admissions offices of the schools to which you have applied letting them know about the honor. In some circles, it is a big deal. In others, it is not.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:04 pm

Dream Machine wrote:So I sent out all of my applications last week, only to find out that I was elected for Phi Beta Kappa this morning; I am graduating in December. I am aware that PBK is a scam, like just about everything else in US post secondary education :roll:, but should I send an updated resume with that academic honor on it? I leaning towards no, but does this sort of thing tend to make a difference in your cycles? Muchas gracias.
PBK is not a "scam." While its help for your cycle is probably minimal, look at attorney firm bios -- if they were PBK in undergrad, it's very often on there. It's a decent thing to have for OCI for this reason alone.

edit: alphabetically, the very first attorney for Davis Polk. --LinkRemoved--. I'm not saying it will make any difference in your cycle, but at least put it on your resume. That fellow's academic credentials for his entire life have been boiled down to 4 lines, 1 of which is PBK.
Last edited by 5ky on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Scam? You're thinking of Golden Key.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:21 pm

It isn't a scam, and I recall seeing it constantly on law firm bio pages.

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Blindmelon wrote:Scam? You're thinking of Golden Key.
Ah okay thanks for the help. And I love the Avatar, one of the most underrated albums of the '90s for sure.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”