Disability Services Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
89vision

Bronze

Disability Services

Post by 89vision » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm

I am registering with my school's disability services, and am in the process of having an excessive number of absences excused. Does this need to be disclosed, and will it negatively impact my chances of admissions? I did not plan on registering, but did because 1) I just found out I was eligible, 2) several Professor's recommended it and 3) I did not anticipate missing the amount of class I did.

I have Bipolar I disorder. The main impact on school is that I miss class frequently, have issues with insomnia/depression, short attention span, etc; Issues arise inevitably, and the medications, for those who do not know, only lengthen the time between manic and depressive episodes. The past two weeks I had severe insomnia, and experienced hallucinations and disorientation. I missed almost all of my classes, and when I did attend, I was borderline awake. When my doctor called back, he called in a RX for ambien, and I was able to finally sleep last night. My Professor's asked me what was wrong, I told them I am bipolar I, and they were extremely helpful and understanding (I was really relieved). I talked to Student Affairs, and while they have extensive records of my diagnosis and treatment, I need to submit new material to register with the school.

I have some issues every semester. Most of the B's I have are attendance related and could have been avoided if I had registered with the disability services. The services don't act retroactively.

The woman from my undergrad said I will not have an issue receiving accomodations. I want to register in order to legitimize my absences, and get an extension on my senior project (which my Professor offered without a request).

Will I be able to successfully register for similar services in law school? Is there a higher standard of proof in law school? The woman told me if I attended my current school for law school, I would not need to re register.

Please don't reply with "If you can't handle the stress of undergrad, don't bother going to law school." I also researched the impact it will have on the bar, so please do not tell me I am

Also, are there any particular things I should look for in a law school that indicate how well they would assist me?

I don't want any handouts, but realistically I will need more excused absences than other students, and possible extensions if I have a particularly problematic episode. I have no idea about this process. Also, is it worth trying to contact LSAC about getting additional time on the LSAT? For those who don't know about bipolar I, one of the symptoms is decreased concentration (essentially mild ADD/ADHD). I also just found out you can get accomodations on the LSAT. My IQ (139) is way higher than my LSAT, and my concentration is awful.

Thanks for the help, this is all new to me, and I would appreciate any guidance or insight. If anyone has similar experiences, could you share them with me- what worked, advice on schools, anything? Are law school Professor's as understanding as undergraduate one's? Will I be labeled negatively if I register for disability services?

89vision

Bronze

Re: Disability Services

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:30 pm

Any tips? I'm completely ignorant of this issue.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:05 pm

Well, as far as attendance goes, they don't take attendance or factor participation into your grade (at least not in my classes). Furthermore, outside of legal writing, there's no work to hand in, so it's not like you'd need extensions (except possibly for writing).

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:17 pm

Well, the only thing I have to say on this topic, is I once read a book by a lady who had schizophrenia, who attended Oxford and then Yale Law school, all while having full blown episodes. She graduated from Yale, then became a law professor, and then earned a Phd in psychology as well.
I found it really interesting, as well as inspiring. (As well as a serious criticism on American attitudes towards treatment of mental illness)
It is called The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn R. Saks
http://www.amazon.com/Center-Cannot-Hol ... 140130138X

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:21 pm

ben4847 wrote:Well, the only thing I have to say on this topic, is I once read a book by a lady who had schizophrenia, who attended Oxford and then Yale Law school, all while having full blown episodes. She graduated from Yale, then became a law professor, and then earned a Phd in psychology as well.
I found it really interesting, as well as inspiring. (As well as a serious criticism on American attitudes towards treatment of mental illness)
It is called The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness by Elyn R. Saks
http://www.amazon.com/Center-Cannot-Hol ... 140130138X
sounds interesting. just ordered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”