LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
netsfan05

New

LSAT

Post by netsfan05 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:17 pm

I just took a practice LSAT and scored a 136. Im not taking the LSAT until October 2012 and plan on using all of my time throughout this upcoming summer to study. Any chances of me scoring at least 160? Thanks!

gaud

Platinum

Re: LSAT

Post by gaud » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:22 pm

netsfan05 wrote:I just took a practice LSAT and scored a 136. Im not taking the LSAT until October 2012 and plan on using all of my time throughout this upcoming summer to study. Any chances of me scoring at least 160? Thanks!

Yes, you have a year so use it wisely. I would suggest taking up Pithypike's guide and getting all of the materials so you're prepared.

thelogicalcontruct

New

Post by thelogicalcontruct » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:16 pm

Make it your full time job for at least 3 months. Eat, sleep, breathe the exam and you will be fine. Most people have trouble increasing their score by 5 points. I'm not trying to discourage you but it should not be taken lightly.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 pm

thelogicalcontruct wrote:Make it your full time job for at least 3 months. Eat, sleep, breathe the exam and you will be fine. Most people have trouble increasing their score by 5 points. I'm not trying to discourage you but it should not be taken lightly.
This is inaccurate, i think you might mean its rare to increase your score by 5 points from one real official LSAT to the next. This is because most people go into the first real lsat after having done everything they can to prepare. This excludes people who do not take the test seriously, but those people rarely retake.

It is rare that someone scores well on their first LSAT. Even on this board i bet few people scored above a 160 with no knowledge of the test.
Personally i scored a 145 and was able to improve this to a 166.
It is important that you study a lot for the LSAT. I recommend reading the Logic games bible to start.
I read the all three powerscore bibles twice over and took 30 preptests before i started scoring in the mid 160's. After that i could not improve my score very much.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:38 pm

john1990 wrote:
thelogicalcontruct wrote:Make it your full time job for at least 3 months. Eat, sleep, breathe the exam and you will be fine. Most people have trouble increasing their score by 5 points. I'm not trying to discourage you but it should not be taken lightly.
This is inaccurate, i think you might mean its rare to increase your score by 5 points from one real official LSAT to the next. This is because most people go into the first real lsat after having done everything they can to prepare. This excludes people who do not take the test seriously, but those people rarely retake.

It is rare that someone scores well on their first LSAT. Even on this board i bet few people scored above a 160 with no knowledge of the test.Personally i scored a 145 and was able to improve this to a 166.
It is important that you study a lot for the LSAT. I recommend reading the Logic games bible to start.
I read the all three powerscore bibles twice over and took 30 preptests before i started scoring in the mid 160's. After that i could not improve my score very much.
Agree except for the bolded. I know you mean to be encouraging to OP, but a lot of the 170+ scorers on this board started in the 160s. Obviously, the population of TLS is not representative.

But starting from 136, there's nowhere to go but up. I would bet that barring some serious fundamental problem (like an actual learning disability of some kind), someone who starts at 136 would make huge gains (perhaps even to the 150s) just by getting the basics down.

FryBreadPower

Silver

Post by FryBreadPower » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 pm

Honestly, most people bomb LG on their first diagnostic. From that section alone you can drastically improve your score (it is the most teachable part of the test). What you really want to focus on is your performance on RC, as that is the hardest teachable aspect of the test. However, you do have a year to prep; pick up some guides and take a look at the general advice regarding improving your skills at Reading Comp.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”