Columbia LOR from supervisor Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ltsm

New

Columbia LOR from supervisor

Post by ltsm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 pm

The Columbia application instructions state that applicants currently working on a full-time basis must submit a LOR from a work supervisor, and I'm not quite sure how to go about this - I don't want things to be awkward at the office, and I'm even a little worried that I might be laid off/marginalized if they think that I'll be leaving. I haven't told them that I'm applying to law school, because if my cycle this year doesn't go well, I'd probably want to retake/re-apply next year and keep working at my current company, so it wouldn't really be ideal to be laid-off.

The instructions do say that "in some instances, applicants may find it extremely difficult to obtain one of the required letters of recommendation" and say that an applicant should use their best judgment on which letters to submit - do you think I should submit an addendum addressing why I haven't included a supervisor LOR? Or just hope that they'll understand why I didn't include one? I'm worried that if I don't address it at all, they'll assume that I just didn't read/follow the application instructions.

If anyone's already addressed this issue before, I'm sorry for the duplicate post, but couldn't find anything while searching the forums; thanks!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”