Character and Fitness question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nyc45678

New

Character and Fitness question

Post by nyc45678 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:04 am

"Have you ever been subject to academic or any other disciplinary sanctions, or are charges pending at any academic institution?
This should include matters that have been expunged or dismissed."

My freshman year of college my friends and I were caught drinking in our dorm and we had to go to one of those seminars about underage drinking. There was nothing put on my record, but does this count as something that should be reported?

Its Always Sunny

New

Re: Character and Fitness question

Post by Its Always Sunny » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:05 am

Yes. Write a simple addendum explaining you learned from it and haven't had any other problems. It won't hurt your chances at all.

nyc45678

New

Post by nyc45678 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:13 am

Ok so simple is literally one paragraph right? Should not take that long to explain that.

This will not affect my chances? It concerns me a little. If schools are coming down to a choice between two people of similar numbers/softs they would not take that into consideration?

Its Always Sunny

New

Post by Its Always Sunny » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:17 am

Yes a simple paragraph. This is what happened and I learned from it and haven't had any issues since. No it won't hurt you chances at all, but if it somehow comes out when you try and pass the bar you will be denied entry and your JD will be thrown out for lying on an application.

nyc45678

New

Post by nyc45678 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:41 am

Thanks! Once you said I had to I wouldn't consider not reporting it, but good to know that it shouldn't be a problem. Such a long time ago!

Thanks again.

SnoDog

New

Post by SnoDog » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Its Always Sunny wrote:Yes. Write a simple addendum explaining you learned from it and haven't had any other problems. It won't hurt your chances at all.
Curious1 wrote:
No, don't give stupid advice.

OP, ask your dean's office whether the write-up counts as official discipline for the purposes of law school. They'll know what's up. If they say yes, THEN and ONLY THEN disclose. If they say no, do NOT disclose.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=170276

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”