Education been interrupted? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lefty20

New

Education been interrupted?

Post by lefty20 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:48 pm

With regard to this question on the applications, what if you chose not to take classes one semester because you were already ahead of pace to graduate? Does that count as being interrupted if it's purely voluntary and didn't affect the your standing? Since they don't give a place to explain the interruption, I'm hesitant to answer yes. Any opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

"Has your education in college, university, or professional school been interrupted for one term or more for any reason?"

sach1282

Bronze

Re: Education been interrupted?

Post by sach1282 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 pm

Even if there is no place to explain, which there usually is, why would you lie? They can see on your transcripts if you weren't there anyway. If you absolutely must explain, attach it as an optional one sentence addendum.

lefty20

New

Post by lefty20 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:03 pm

I wasn't considering it a lie, by any means. It seems to me that an education being "interrupted" implies that something took it off track. Instead, it was just the case that I was well ahead with credits, and didn't need to take classes one semester. I agree that it means I didn't take consecutive semesters for my entire college career, but I'm just uncertain if that is the same as it being interrupted.

Thanks for the response.

SnoDog

New

Post by SnoDog » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:35 pm

My understanding of that statement is that the school is asking you whether or not you have been placed on some form of academic probation, where you have been suspended a semester or something to that nature, preventing you from taking classes.

I can't see why they would need to know or care if you took a break between semesters. Like sachs pointed out, they can just see that easily by looking at your transcripts.

Not certain if I'm correct though. Anybody else have any info?

sach1282

Bronze

Post by sach1282 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:16 pm

I took the question entirely the other way. The C&F section asks about academic discipline and the like. The interruption question just seems to apply exactly to OPs situation: Did not attend for one semester. I say, go with the 1-2 sentence addendum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

citykitty

Bronze

Post by citykitty » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:20 pm

You check yes. Some schools will want an explanation. Some won't care. In your instance, you write a simple sentence or two explaining you were ahead of pace for graduation. No big deal.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:33 pm

lefty20 wrote:It seems to me that an education being "interrupted" implies that something took it off track.
You were on-track to graduate early. So, yes, your education has been interrupted in some way. Just explain it, as is.
Last edited by theadvancededit on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lefty20

New

Post by lefty20 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 pm

Seems reasonable. What's aski mean?

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:54 pm

An iPhone slip :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lefty20

New

Post by lefty20 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Got it. Thanks for all the input everyone.

ConfidenceMan2

New

Post by ConfidenceMan2 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Resurrecting to ask my own question: if I voluntarily withdrew from a graduate program, should I tick yes and add an addendum? Or is that not relevant to what the question is asking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”