addendum for low GPA, multiple LSAT Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
androidhu

New

addendum for low GPA, multiple LSAT

Post by androidhu » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Hi guys. I just got an email from a law school requesting me to provide addendum for my low gpa in my senior year and the reason why I took LSAT three times.

I'm freaking out because I don't know what to write!

I didn't write addendum for any of these because I did not have a compelling/ legit reason like illness or financial difficulty. I didn't do well in my seinior year just because I had a lot on my plate (grad school application, vasity sports team, thesis writing) and I sucked at time management. Also I slacked off in the second semester because I got admitted to grad school by that time. Shall I be just honest and say I made a mistake? Or would I look bad?

For multiple LSATs, I didn't feel the need to address it because the score difference is slim (167, 171, 169). But I guess now I have to provide some kind of explanation. Honestly, I can't think of any reason other than that each time I took, the score was below my expectations and I thought I could do better. Can I write that?

Do you guys have any advice/opinion? Any opinion will be appreciated.

BeerMaker

Bronze

Re: addendum for low GPA, multiple LSAT

Post by BeerMaker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Don't write an addendum. It's stupid! Schools now state explicitly that they take the highest score and to write an addendum only if you have a compelling reason. I wouldn't worry about multiple scores. Ever since schools took this new stance, it has been common place for applicants to have at least two scores. Most applicants aren't content with their first one. Or even their second one for that matter. Most applicants can always improve. I have to believe that the average applicant is confident enough that with enough effort, they could get a 180. So, I reason that many students feel compelled to retake.

AntipodeanPhil

Silver

Post by AntipodeanPhil » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:29 pm

BeerMaker wrote:Don't write an addendum. It's stupid! Schools now state explicitly that they take the highest score and to write an addendum only if you have a compelling reason. I wouldn't worry about multiple scores. Ever since schools took this new stance, it has been common place for applicants to have at least two scores. Most applicants aren't content with their first one. Or even their second one for that matter. Most applicants can always improve. I have to believe that the average applicant is confident enough that with enough effort, they could get a 180. So, I reason that many students feel compelled to retake.
LOL - actually reading posts before replying to them is so overrated!

Tell them that you had too much on your plate during your senior year, but that you learnt a valuable lesson (which, I presume, you did). Don't tell them about bad time management skills and slacking off.

I think your explanation for the LSAT scores is fine: it's very important, so you wanted to give yourself as many chances as possible to do well. Perhaps tell them you tried some different things, but none of them made a difference - in more sophisticated language, of course.

Alpine

New

Post by Alpine » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:39 pm

BeerMaker wrote:Don't write an addendum. It's stupid! Schools now state explicitly that they take the highest score and to write an addendum only if you have a compelling reason. I wouldn't worry about multiple scores. Ever since schools took this new stance, it has been common place for applicants to have at least two scores. Most applicants aren't content with their first one. Or even their second one for that matter. Most applicants can always improve. I have to believe that the average applicant is confident enough that with enough effort, they could get a 180. So, I reason that many students feel compelled to retake.
RC fail, the law school is officially requesting one. Also, http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html has a list of those that don't only consider the highest score, though they are glad to report it. There are quite a few that do request addenda regarding retakes.

OP, the senior year slump is disconcerting for adcoms since they prefer upward trends. You will just have to write about having too much on your plate. I would only mention the time management skill issue if enough time has passed to allow for improvement, but be weary. Do you have considerably better grad school grades that you can use to reflect a more recent upward trend in GPA? It could make for a more persuasive addendum.

Regarding the multiple LSATs, I would include exactly what you said: That you considered it below your expectations, and perhaps under perform on standardized tests. However, I'm not sure how compelling it will be since they are all in a range of 4 points.

androidhu

New

Post by androidhu » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:39 am

Alpine wrote:
RC fail, the law school is officially requesting one. Also, http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html has a list of those that don't only consider the highest score, though they are glad to report it. There are quite a few that do request addenda regarding retakes.

OP, the senior year slump is disconcerting for adcoms since they prefer upward trends. You will just have to write about having too much on your plate. I would only mention the time management skill issue if enough time has passed to allow for improvement, but be weary. Do you have considerably better grad school grades that you can use to reflect a more recent upward trend in GPA? It could make for a more persuasive addendum.

Regarding the multiple LSATs, I would include exactly what you said: That you considered it below your expectations, and perhaps under perform on standardized tests. However, I'm not sure how compelling it will be since they are all in a range of 4 points.
Thanks man. This is very helpful. Fortunately my grades from graduate school are much better so hopefully I'll be able to put forward a more compelling addendum. Thanks again for your advice. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”