CCN w/ ED vs. rest of T14 w/ possibility of $$? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
westinghouse60

Bronze

CCN w/ ED vs. rest of T14 w/ possibility of $$?

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:30 am

This issue came up for me after getting my October scores back (did better than I expected and now am considering EDing to CCN), but I feel like the issue applies to at least a few other TLSers.

Basically, if an applicant is borderline at CCN with ED (so likely no $$) vs. possibility of getting in regular decision perhaps with $$ at MVP (and whatever other T14s they may have a shot at with regular decision), which is the "better" option? ("Better" meaning, as I think it would for a lot of people, debt minimization/ability to pay off loans.)

So what is the "better" option in this case? CCN ED w/ no $$ but better chances at big law vs. the rest of the T14 with a partial scholarship but less likely to land big law?

Maybe this is overly subjective, and maybe it doesn't apply to as many people as I think it does. Even if that's the case, then I could really use some advice lol.

American_in_China

Bronze

Re: CCN w/ ED vs. rest of T14 w/ possibility of $$?

Post by American_in_China » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 am

I am interested in this.

yuzu

Bronze

Post by yuzu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 am

Depends on career goals, financial situation, regional preferences, etc. If your heart were set on living in New York and you wanted NY biglaw more than anything, CLS/NYU would be an easy choice. In other situations, saving money may be the better choice. Keep in mind that not all lawyers enjoy the stressful world of biglaw, and having the option to switch to a less demanding position without a huge debt burden is an important factor.

My impression was that ED to CCN doesn't give you much boost, so I think you are justified in not doing so if you think it might not be the best path for you.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:55 am

westinghouse60 wrote:This issue came up for me after getting my October scores back (did better than I expected and now am considering EDing to CCN), but I feel like the issue applies to at least a few other TLSers.

Basically, if an applicant is borderline at CCN with ED (so likely no $$) vs. possibility of getting in regular decision perhaps with $$ at MVP (and whatever other T14s they may have a shot at with regular decision), which is the "better" option? ("Better" meaning, as I think it would for a lot of people, debt minimization/ability to pay off loans.)

So what is the "better" option in this case? CCN ED w/ no $$ but better chances at big law vs. the rest of the T14 with a partial scholarship but less likely to land big law?

Maybe this is overly subjective, and maybe it doesn't apply to as many people as I think it does. Even if that's the case, then I could really use some advice lol.
Numbers?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:40 am

Oh, you have numbers.

I'd grab the money this cycle personally. You seem like a lock for NYU, which gives you a hell of a shot at big law (assuming you want to work in NYC). Money at Penn is nothing to sneeze at, but firms don't reach as deep into the class there. Michigan gives you the Chicago market. Northwestern might throw a pile of money at you potentially.

Use this: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soviet1

New

Post by soviet1 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:56 am

Last cycle I got a 175 on the october LSAT and had a 3.4 LSAC GPA (3.6 on the transcript). I applied in mid December and got tons of waitlists and only a couple acceptances in the t-14. My advice is to get those apps in ASAP. If you wait, you're going to be stuck in WL hell. So get on it! Good luck!

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 am

I'm debating this choice too, i want BigLaw, doesn't necessarily have to be NYC (though I assume NYC has the most jobs available). 172/3.68 GPA. not sure if i should toss an ED app to CCN.

otnemem

Bronze

Post by otnemem » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:10 am

Both a 3.4/175 (OP) and a 172/3.68 have a strong shot at NYU RD. I wouldn't ED if I were you, especially if you aren't dead set on NYC.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:17 am

otnemem wrote:Both a 3.4/175 (OP) and a 172/3.68 have a strong shot at NYU RD. I wouldn't ED if I were you, especially if you aren't dead set on NYC.
I'd be dead set on NYC. Your job prospects are unilaterally shittier elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 pm

otnemem wrote:Both a 3.4/175 (OP) and a 172/3.68 have a strong shot at NYU RD. I wouldn't ED if I were you, especially if you aren't dead set on NYC.
Serious about RD NYU chances? How about Chicago w/ RD? Also, I don't have a preference for a market, I'm just willing to go where there are jobs.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

This is relevant to my interests as I am considering ED at Northwestern vs ED at Chicago. 3.54/176

Strange

Silver

Post by Strange » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:36 am

westinghouse60 wrote:
Serious about RD NYU chances? How about Chicago w/ RD? Also, I don't have a preference for a market, I'm just willing to go where there are jobs.
Our numbers are similar so I'm interested in this as well. Very uncertain as to whether to ED to somewhere or not

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”