Another C&F Question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curious1

Silver

Another C&F Question

Post by Curious1 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:49 am

So this is what happened to me.

Freshman year I got really drunk one night and someone called an ambulance. Before I got on, some policemen (forgot if they were campus police or city police) asked me if I was OK or whatever. So later, the dean calls me for a meeting, I get a copy of a police report (which I lost). The dean told me that this was all going to be handled in-house. I never went to court, never got a ticket, never got a call, no nothing. I had a meeting with the dean and that was that.

I SPECIFICALLY asked the dean last month if my conversation with him and the whole thing constituted DISCIPLINE. He told me with certainty that it did not.

What I'm wondering is--what about the police report? Does a police report being filed = conviction? Should I have disclosed this...because I didn't, and now I'm paranoid that I'm screwed.

To recap: was drinking, cops came, police report exists, NO court, no fine, no ticket, no call from them since. Dean assured me it would all be handled in-house and that it would not constitute discipline for law school purposes.

The apps all asked for CONVICTIONS...does this count? I've always thought I needed to appear in court to defend my case, or at least get notice that I was convicted or the case was dismissed or whatever...If it DOES count, what can I do now?

89vision

Bronze

Re: Another C&F Question

Post by 89vision » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:35 pm

Conviction: the act or process of finding a person guilty of a crime, especially in a court of law.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the statement?
a)
b)
c)
d)
e)

theadvancededit

Bronze

Re: Another C&F Question

Post by theadvancededit » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Curious1 wrote:So this is what happened to me.

Freshman year I got really drunk one night and someone called an ambulance. Before I got on, some policemen (forgot if they were campus police or city police) asked me if I was OK or whatever. So later, the dean calls me for a meeting, I get a copy of a police report (which I lost). The dean told me that this was all going to be handled in-house. I never went to court, never got a ticket, never got a call, no nothing. I had a meeting with the dean and that was that.

I SPECIFICALLY asked the dean last month if my conversation with him and the whole thing constituted DISCIPLINE. He told me with certainty that it did not.

What I'm wondering is--what about the police report? Does a police report being filed = conviction? Should I have disclosed this...because I didn't, and now I'm paranoid that I'm screwed.

To recap: was drinking, cops came, police report exists, NO court, no fine, no ticket, no call from them since. Dean assured me it would all be handled in-house and that it would not constitute discipline for law school purposes.

The apps all asked for CONVICTIONS...does this count? I've always thought I needed to appear in court to defend my case, or at least get notice that I was convicted or the case was dismissed or whatever...If it DOES count, what can I do now?
This doesn't count as a conviction.

To be on the safe side, you may want to try tracking down a copy of the police report. But, all in all, you should be fine.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”