Does this count as having been academically disciplined? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
paul34

Bronze

Does this count as having been academically disciplined?

Post by paul34 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:36 pm

I am filling out a few applications. As you all know, the CnF sections ask about academic punishments that you have had, even if no record was retained on your file.

I was in the honors college at my school during undergrad. After a few years, the honors college advising office decided I wasn't "making satisfactory progress towards honors program requirements" and dropped me from the program with no warning. In reality, I was only a few courses in. I could've easily signed up for the classes at any time, but I think they prefer micromanaging honors students' schedules for some reason. When I contacted them, they said that was their way of "making contact" and that if i came into the advising office and signed up for a few required honors courses, they could restore me.

Needless to say, I was pretty peeved at the time at the juvenile nature of the way they "made contact." I was already quite disillusioned with the honors program at the time, so I decided to just let it go and not "fix" it. Effectively, I quit/failed to go back.

There is nothing on my record (of which I am aware) other than that it shows I was in the honors college for two years less than my total degree complete time.

I don't want to say "no" only to have adcomms find out and then say I lied. Perhaps I should mention this just to be on the safe side?

Does this count as discipline? It wasn't that i did anything "wrong." But then again, perhaps this counts as "expulsion" from a program. However, I feel that the question is asking about significant academic sanctions, and not so much what I have described above. I could use your help, TLSers.

Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Does this count as having been academically disciplined?

Post by Arbiter213 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:51 pm

No.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:52 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:No.
+1

LawSchoolGuru

New

Post by LawSchoolGuru » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:53 pm

No. But if you are afraid, you can contact your university and ask if that they consider that academic discipline.

pwyoung

Bronze

Post by pwyoung » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 am

Nope, you just dropped a program.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kimberly

Bronze

Post by Kimberly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:40 am

NO

BiglawOrBust

Bronze

Post by BiglawOrBust » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:41 am

No

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”