Impact of Service Programs - TFA, Americorps, Peace Corps Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aperfectmap

New

Impact of Service Programs - TFA, Americorps, Peace Corps

Post by aperfectmap » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Out of curiosity, what do people think the effect of participating in - and completing - programs such as Teach For America, Americorps, or Peace Corps had on the admissions process?

When I initially applied to TFA, I thought that it could serve as a substantial boost. This may have been a result of TFA's own marketing scheme. However, given some of the recent conversation about TFA on TLS, I'm coming to the conclusion that it might serve as a tie-breaker at best.

So, what do people think?

MrAnon

Gold

Re: Impact of Service Programs - TFA, Americorps, Peace Corps

Post by MrAnon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:48 pm

zero impact. all that matters is LSAT and GPA. 3.8, 176 no work experience gets into Harvard. 3.6, 169, TFA does not.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:02 pm

MrAnon wrote:zero impact. all that matters is LSAT and GPA. 3.8, 176 no work experience gets into Harvard. 3.6, 169, TFA does not.
I wouldn't go this far. It's good for fee waivers, a strong PS, strong LORs and it's a definite tie-breaker. I would even be willing to say it's maybe good for some scholarship money compared to other applicants with similar stats. But it will not beat an LSAT that's a point or two higher.

aperfectmap

New

Post by aperfectmap » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
MrAnon wrote:zero impact. all that matters is LSAT and GPA. 3.8, 176 no work experience gets into Harvard. 3.6, 169, TFA does not.
I wouldn't go this far. It's good for fee waivers, a strong PS, strong LORs and it's a definite tie-breaker. I would even be willing to say it's maybe good for some scholarship money compared to other applicants with similar stats. But it will not beat an LSAT that's a point or two higher.
The fee waivers were definitely pretty excellent.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:47 pm

Yeah the advantages are way overrated. You would be much better off spending that time studying if it meant your lsat score would improve by 4 or more points.

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:13 pm

The main advantage is you won't be an annoying K-JDer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”