Too many reaches...shot at BC or Fordham? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
catholicgirl

Bronze

Too many reaches...shot at BC or Fordham?

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Last edited by catholicgirl on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PersuasiveCharm

New

Re: Too many reaches...shot at BC or Fordham?

Post by PersuasiveCharm » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:19 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Hey guys,

First time poster. Have a 165 LSAT score, 3.91 GPA, pretty decent softs. I applied to a lot of T-14 schools knowing I would most likely not get into the majority.

I thought I would be a definite consider for BC and Fordham. But now looking at some statistics I'm freaking out. Unfortunately, I attend a school with a heavy science/pre-med bent so my pre-law advisor is useless and all the research I'm doing is just making me panic more. I guess I just need some honest answers about what schools I can expect to get into

Schools I've applied to so far: NYU, U of M, UT, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, UCLA, BC, Fordham, OSU, Case, William and Mary, Emory.

Do I have a shot at any of these besides my safeties?
I do not believe that U of M is that big of a reach, given that you apply before Thanksgiving.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 pm

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:23 pm

catholicgirl wrote:Hey guys,

First time poster. Have a 165 LSAT score, 3.91 GPA, pretty decent softs. I applied to a lot of T-14 schools knowing I would most likely not get into the majority.

I thought I would be a definite consider for BC and Fordham. But now looking at some statistics I'm freaking out. Unfortunately, I attend a school with a heavy science/pre-med bent so my pre-law advisor is useless and all the research I'm doing is just making me panic more. I guess I just need some honest answers about what schools I can expect to get into

Schools I've applied to so far: NYU, U of M, UT, Duke, UVA, Northwestern, UCLA, BC, Fordham, OSU, Case, William and Mary, Emory.

Do I have a shot at any of these besides my safeties?
You have a solid shot at BC, Fordham and UCLA. I think you have a small shot at UT too. Your LSAT is a little low though.. you have a great GPA. I don't think you have great chances at any of the other t-14. Throw an app to Berkeley maybe.. they love high gpas.. but other than that, retake!

You're in at OSU, Case, W&M and Emory (okay maybe you won't get a clean sweep because things can be random but I wouldnt be surprised if you did).

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm wondering if my resume too may pad me somewhat. Was an R.A for three years, managing editor of paper, and the primary researcher for several exhibits at a medical museum. Or does that not matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:33 pm

catholicgirl wrote:I'm wondering if my resume too may pad me somewhat. Was an R.A for three years, managing editor of paper, and the primary researcher for several exhibits at a medical museum. Or does that not matter?
I wrote a question about WE too. I think your resume (RA, college stuff, etc) is really common so it probably won't matter unfortunately. Some schools like Northwestern prefer WE very much but they typically 2+ years of significant WE. Basically, I get the feeling that if its very significant like mgmt consulting or banking for a few years, its a decent soft but if it's typical college extracurrics, it won't matter really. Either way, I dont think WE is a game changer unless it's very remarkable.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:35 pm

FWIW I know a 3.9/165 who just got into UVA through ED.

I think Fordham is a lock. And I would be really surprised if you didn't get BC given their emphasis on GPA.

HTH

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Anecdotal but I got into BC at 28k a year with the same LSAT and lower GPA

Seneca

Bronze

Post by Seneca » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:45 pm

You've got a great GPA that will secure a good number of those schools for you. NYU and to a lesser extent UVA RD and then UT are possibly stretches with that LSAT. Northwestern is tough without WE. You should feel confident about UCLA on down, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm not sure if Fordham is a lock (I don't like to tempt fate!), but I think if you get your app in right away, you have a GREAT shot.
They want to up their LSAT numbers but your GPA is fantastic - best of luck!

AlanShore

Silver

Post by AlanShore » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:52 pm

nygrrrl wrote:I'm not sure if Fordham is a lock (I don't like to tempt fate!), but I think if you get your app in right away, you have a GREAT shot.
They want to up their LSAT numbers but your GPA is fantastic - best of luck!
Hey nygrrl, did Fordham median LSAT drop last year? It says 165 but I seem to remember it being higher a few cycles ago?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”