Academic vs. Employer Letters of Rec Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawschool89

New

Academic vs. Employer Letters of Rec

Post by lawschool89 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:34 am

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I'm trying to get the ball rolling on apps and wanted to get your guys' input-

If given the option, would 3 academic LORs (2 professors, 1 TA/lecturer) be preferable to 2 academic + 1 employer LOR (from an accounting job so not the most pertinent to law school). It looks like most of the schools say on their website that they prefer academic over workplace, but do you think not having a LOR from an employer be detrimental?

Thanks in advance!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Re: Academic vs. Employer Letters of Rec

Post by theadvancededit » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:48 am

All things being equal, it depends on whether you're still in school and, if not, how long you have been out of it. Generally, academic does trump workplace but the strength of the recommendations are key-- you have at least two professors in both scenarios so you should be okay either way.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:43 pm

As long as they don't say you were a total asshole who they'd never deal with again, I don't think it matters.

Hasn't the "you are nothing more than an LSAT/GPA combination" crowd been out in force yet? It's already October.

lawschool89

New

Post by lawschool89 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 am

theadvancededit wrote:All things being equal, it depends on whether you're still in school and, if not, how long you have been out of it. Generally, academic does trump workplace but the strength of the recommendations are key-- you have at least two professors in both scenarios so you should be okay either way.
I just graduated this past June so I'm guessing the 3 academic would be better? Thanks for your help!

ahduth wrote:As long as they don't say you were a total asshole who they'd never deal with again, I don't think it matters.

Hasn't the "you are nothing more than an LSAT/GPA combination" crowd been out in force yet? It's already October.
haha yeah i figure putting a little extra thought into apps can't hurt though (hence why I'm here)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”