question about noting disciplinary action on application Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
justiceleague

New

question about noting disciplinary action on application

Post by justiceleague » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Freshman year I got a reprimand from campus police for underage alcohol consumption and "being extremely uncooperative and belligerent with police officers." That's what it says on the incident summary and final report. I had to have a meeting with the school's judicial affairs person, wrote an essay about what I learned, and go to an alcohol lecture. I have had a perfectly clean record since, both on campus and off. This was the only thing I've ever been in trouble with, and have been told by my pre-law advisor on campus and the dean's office that it's not going to affect my chances.

So, my question is this. When applications ask "have you ever had any academic or disciplinary actions taken against you?" What should my response be? Just a few sentences about what happened? I'm not putting it in my personal statement or anything.

My school sends a dean's letter saying I am in good standing to the schools that request it. It will mention the incident, but say I am in good standing.

Thank you all very much.

Gold

Re: question about noting disciplinary action on application

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:53 pm

I'd think yes. Sounds like disciplinary action to me.

justiceleague

New

Re: question about noting disciplinary action on application

Post by justiceleague » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:33 pm

Clarification:

I'm going to say what happened, but what I'm wondering is in the spot on the application where it asks, "Have you ever...." Do I only have to say the few concrete facts of the case/process like "I got reprimanded for this and that, I followed all procedures to get it taken care of, haven't been in trouble since." Or do I have to say, "These are the facts of the case..I made a silly decision, it was my first time away from home, I'm so embarrassed, I've learned from this, etc."

Thank you for any advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”