Page 1 of 1
Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:17 pm
by Cartman
Hi folks,
So my question is this: I have two LoR's in, along with everything else ready for most of my applications (took the June LSAT, so not waiting for Oct. score). I have one more LoR that I wanted to use, but the professor said that he should get the letter out "later this month." I take that to mean in the mail, so it could be up to a full month for it to be posted.
Being that most schools only require 2 LoR's but will accept 3-4, should I use the two I've got and send my apps out now or wait until the third one gets in? I guess my question is: is there a benefit in waiting for it over getting the apps out early? Or no benefit? Or a benefit to getting the apps out a month early over waiting for the third. I thought that most schools didn't start reviewing apps until December-ish anyways, but they may still review them in the order they're received.
I anticipate it to be a strong letter if that makes a difference, but the other two letters I have are also from professors, and they're also strong letters.
Thanks a bunch for the input!
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:30 pm
by iowalum
Send!!!! The month you would lose would definitely hurt you, whereas the extra letter could only maybe help you. And knowing professors, it will probably be way longer than they say it will be. Last year I had to wait an extra 2 months after my prof. said he was going to send it.
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:37 pm
by 094320
..
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:22 am
by caminante
I agree- send it now. The exception may be Yale, though, since it is a third professor.
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:36 am
by ThreeRivers
What about in my situation?
I have 1 from a professor, 1 from a non-professor (guy I worked for), and I'm waiting on a professor... will only have 1 from a professor look bad?
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:15 am
by caminante
ThreeRivers wrote:What about in my situation?
I have 1 from a professor, 1 from a non-professor (guy I worked for), and I'm waiting on a professor... will only have 1 from a professor look bad?
I would wait for a second professor if possible.
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:21 am
by JamMasterJ
Didn't even read. Send now.
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 pm
by 094320
..
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:33 pm
by Tim0thy222
Cartman wrote:Hi folks,
So my question is this: I have two LoR's in, along with everything else ready for most of my applications (took the June LSAT, so not waiting for Oct. score). I have one more LoR that I wanted to use, but the professor said that he should get the letter out "later this month." I take that to mean in the mail, so it could be up to a full month for it to be posted.
Being that most schools only require 2 LoR's but will accept 3-4, should I use the two I've got and send my apps out now or wait until the third one gets in? I guess my question is: is there a benefit in waiting for it over getting the apps out early? Or no benefit? Or a benefit to getting the apps out a month early over waiting for the third. I thought that most schools didn't start reviewing apps until December-ish anyways, but they may still review them in the order they're received.
I anticipate it to be a strong letter if that makes a difference, but the other two letters I have are also from professors, and they're also strong letters.
Thanks a bunch for the input!
Hear that Cartman?
SEND NOW!
You didn't even need to get on TLS. You could've just asked me.
Now I'm going to go bang my head against a wall until October 21st.
/thread
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:01 am
by swoozie
This is the problem I am having as well. The major difference though is that I have 1 academic and 1 work letter right now, and I'm basically waiting on my primary academic letter (prof I worked with for jr+sr year). He's listed on my resume since I did extensive research with him. In my case, would it still be better to send now, or would missing his rec be a huge, noticeable gap? He said his won't be in until very beginning of November.
I've been out of schools and working for over 2 years now, so I don't think my work rec is necessarily weak.
Re: Poll: Send apps now or wait for 2-4 weeks for 3rd LoR?
Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:31 am
by swc65
ThreeRivers wrote:What about in my situation?
I have 1 from a professor, 1 from a non-professor (guy I worked for), and I'm waiting on a professor... will only have 1 from a professor look bad?
Send send send send send send send.
You can update later. Timing is much more important than a 3rd Lot. Also a work LoR and a prof. LoR is better than 2 prof.