2 LORs from same workplace Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
puremorning

Silver

2 LORs from same workplace

Post by puremorning » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:41 pm

I want to submit a third LOR to strengthen my app, but a professor I'd wanted to ask hasn't gotten back to me (emailed him twice two months ago, I don't know whether he's ignoring me or something, but I'm just gonna move on!). I already have one LOR from a supervisor at a former job (I've been out of school for a bit), but would it be too redundant to get a LOR from someone at the same workplace that I've worked under in a different capacity?

Gymnast0206

Bronze

Re: 2 LORs from same workplace

Post by Gymnast0206 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Is there no way that you can get someone else to write you an academic LOR?

I don't think the problem is in having 2 people from the same workplace write you letters. The thing I would be concerned about is whether or not they're going to say relatively the same things. Law schools want to know that you, as an applicant, can handle the academic rigor of law school. Having someone who can attest to your strengths in the classroom is very valuable. I'd encourage you to find someone who can write you a letter pertaining to those qualities.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:12 pm

puremorning wrote:I want to submit a third LOR to strengthen my app, but a professor I'd wanted to ask hasn't gotten back to me (emailed him twice two months ago, I don't know whether he's ignoring me or something, but I'm just gonna move on!). I already have one LOR from a supervisor at a former job (I've been out of school for a bit), but would it be too redundant to get a LOR from someone at the same workplace that I've worked under in a different capacity?
Getting two LoRs from the same place is generally not advisable. It's one thing to have it from two different professors from the same department but to have it from two different supervisors in the same workplace seems questionable. How different are these capacities, exactly? If they're entirely not that different-- such as working for HR and then working for Accounts Receivable-- I'd try to get another academic LoR-- if you really can't track down the other professor by any other means (phone and in-person, included), then move on to another professor.

puremorning

Silver

Post by puremorning » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I finally got the balls to ask the professor again. Here I thought he was ignoring me b/c I'd let him down by not doing as well as I could have in his class (I feel silly thinking that now...). Apparently he went AWOL from email this summer. Umm, auto-reply anyone? Oh well, at least the problem is solved now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”