LOR recommendation advice needed (poll) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Please help me pick a LOR writer!!

Professor (I was the top student in his class, but it was a while ago and may not remember me)
45%
TA (He gave me awesome comments on papers, but he's a TA)
55%

Total votes: 11

sf88

New

LOR recommendation advice needed (poll)

Post by sf88 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:09 pm

I posted about my LOR situation last week if you want to read the background:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=166767

I asked one of my professors whether she could possibly speed up the writing process, but she is traveling extensively this month and doesn't think she can have it done before November 1st. I am applying EA to Cornell and hoping to submit other applications early as well, so this obviously is not a good situation. I'm an idiot for trusting the "prelaw" adviser..

I am now planning on asking someone else entirely. I currently have two professors who will have the LORS done in time. I would just go with two letters, but one professor hasn't actually taught me in a class - he is the director of a program that I'm in. He says he has wonderful things to say about me, but I would like another academic LOR just in case.

The two people I'm thinking of asking (and begging for their understanding) are a professor I had freshman year and a TA I had in the fall of 2010. I was the #1 student in the professor's course, which was an honors literature course. However, he may not remember me that well. The TA gave me glowing reviews on my papers, but he's a TA.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Seneca

Bronze

Re: LOR recommendation advice needed (poll)

Post by Seneca » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:30 pm

Freshman year is reaching back kind of far, but if you're really desperate and do decide to go for the professor, consider meeting with him to gauge how well he remembers you before putting him on the spot. Bring a packet that includes a copy of your resume, PS, and maybe your transcript, along with one or two of the best papers you submitted to him (preferably with his grade and comments) to help jog his memory of what kind of student you are. If he seems to remember you and is open to writing you a strong LOR - and if you don't feel you have other viable options - providing that packet may help make the best of the situation. I hope everything works out for you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”