International Students disadvantage? / other questions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
afnaidel

New

International Students disadvantage? / other questions

Post by afnaidel » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi, I've been aiming for a J.D. but I'm in a weird situation.
I found my passion for law after taking several undergraduate law courses, and when I realized that I have a fairly good chance to get into T14 schools, I decided to pursue a J.D. degree.

The problem is - I based my chance of getting into T14 schools on the data from LSAC (25-75, median, etc).
But recently, I observed many online posts implying that international students have to have higher GPA/LSAT.

The thing is, I went to high school and currently going to college in the United States. I just don't have citizenship or green card - I'm on a student visa.

So, is it safe to consider myself as an American student in terms of GPA/LSAT score and relative chance of getting into T14?

In addition, with 3.78 GPA (double major + one minor, a state university in the U.S.), 171-173 LSAT, veteran status (although not the US army), experience as a research assistant to a law professor and a writer for an award-winning student magazine (all in the U.S.), which T14 schools would I be able to get accepted? I want to set my own and my parents' (yes, I'm an Asian) expectations realistically.

Thanks.

sokomofo

Bronze

Re: International Students disadvantage? / other questions

Post by sokomofo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:56 pm

Last edited by sokomofo on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:58 pm

Wow I'm in the same situation too: Asian, high school+college in the US ( no military). Let's be friends?

Also he could be Singaporean?

afnaidel

New

Post by afnaidel » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:11 am

That's what I thought. Thanks.

And yes, I am indeed a South Korean. I'll be graduating this school year and will be in the military by next September.
I'm hoping to apply during the military service and start law school immediately after the end of the mandatory service.

It's interesting that there are quite a lot of people like me, haha.

madvillain

Bronze

Post by madvillain » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:29 am

Sup fellas, not Korean/Singaporean but Asian here as well, also international with an LSAC gpa, the boring international though (Canadian). Good luck to all my fellow international ORM's. We should probably be treated the same as any other non-URM I guess.

sokomofo

Bronze

Post by sokomofo » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 am

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”