Seriously neurotic addendum question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yeshia90

Silver

Seriously neurotic addendum question

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:54 pm

So, I just found out that my summer grades haven't been included in my transcript, and when I asked my school what the deal was, I was told that they can take "2-4 months" to process. For me, that means somewhere between the end of this month and December.

I'm thinking about adding a super-minor GPA addendum, but the purpose wouldn't just be that. I didn't work or do anything else this past summer--because I was abroad--and I also want to show adcomms that I "did something," because I've read that they want to see that.

I feel like I'm probably overthinking this. Tell me I'm overthinking this.
Last edited by Yeshia90 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

SA1928

Bronze

Re: Seriously neurotic addendum question

Post by SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Does it make any sort of significant change to your GPA?

Honestly, I don't think it is necessary, mostly because I imagine you would your study abroad experience from this past summer somewhere else in your application? Maybe on your resume?

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:10 pm

SA1928 wrote:Does it make any sort of significant change to your GPA?

Honestly, I don't think it is necessary, mostly because I imagine you would your study abroad experience from this past summer somewhere else in your application? Maybe on your resume?
I hadn't. Should I?

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:15 pm

Sorry, I just realized that sentence didn't make any sense, glad you understood it!

I have mine on my resume. I guess it isn't necessary, but I placed it under my education. I did a full semester and received a second concentration though, so it sort of fits there. Did you study abroad through your school or through a different institution? It seems like most resume recommendation sites say to put it there either way, so I think it can't hurt.

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Here is a sample resume that I was looking at: http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... esume1.pdf

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Yeshia90 wrote:
So would it be really stupid to include something that says:

"My transcript is not up-to-date because my undergraduate institution has not yet processed the grade I received in a study-abroad program this past summer. I received an A in the course, and as a result, my GPA is 3.XY, rather than 3.XZ."
That's not stupid at all. You would be writing a short addendum to clarify what your GPA actually should be which, while a small difference, is something you want the adcomm to know. If it's to your benefit, you should definitely write one. Try to include some sort of documentation to back you up-- an unofficial or advising transcript, perhaps.

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 pm

PS - (sorry for 3 back to back posts) but if you have already applied and didn't put it on your resume, definitely don't stress about it. If you think it will make you feel more comfortable to submit the addendum, I think you can go for it, especially since you are writing it short and succinct.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:28 pm

SA1928 wrote:If you think it will make you feel more comfortable to submit the addendum, I think you can go for it, especially since you are writing it short and succinct.
An addendum would definitely be best since there's an actual difference in GPA that's not being reported. Your resume should be for work/education/life experience only, not for differentials.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:32 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
Yeshia90 wrote:
So would it be really stupid to include something that says:

"My transcript is not up-to-date because my undergraduate institution has not yet processed the grade I received in a study-abroad program this past summer. I received an A in the course, and as a result, my GPA is 3.XY, rather than 3.XZ."
That's not stupid at all. You would be writing a short addendum to clarify what your GPA actually should be which, while a small difference, is something you want the adcomm to know. If it's to your benefit, you should definitely write one. Try to include some sort of documentation to back you up-- an unofficial or advising transcript, perhaps.
Unfortunately, the only thing I have is my score report from the institution I studied abroad at. Should I screen-cap that and include it in the addendum?
Last edited by Yeshia90 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SA1928

Bronze

Post by SA1928 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 pm

Oh I meant to include the study abroad experience on the resume. The OP seemed more concerned that law schools might think the OP didn't do anything all summer and less concerned about the GPA difference, so I thought putting it on the resume might solve that part of the problem.

But I agree an addendum is a good choice too. :)

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Yeshia90 wrote: "My transcript is not up-to-date because my undergraduate institution has not yet processed the grade I received in a study-abroad program at (name of institution, city and country)this past summer. I received an A in the course, and as a result, my GPA is 3.XY, rather than 3.XZ. I have included a copy of my score report from (name of institution) for your review. As soon as the grade is processed, I will submit an updated transcript to LSAC."
Try that.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:53 pm

SA1928 wrote:Oh I meant to include the study abroad experience on the resume. The OP seemed more concerned that law schools might think the OP didn't do anything all summer and less concerned about the GPA difference, so I thought putting it on the resume might solve that part of the problem.

But I agree an addendum is a good choice too. :)
That should be definitely on the resume, for sure. It's just that resumes are primarily for listing what your experience was, and noting the difference in GPA may be overlooked. The difference is negligible but any boost is for the better!

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:10 pm

Updated resume, and addendum, but it looks like I'm locked out of the student internal for the study-abroad school. Schools are gonna have to take me at my own word.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:29 pm

Are you sure that the study abroad program grade will actually wind up in your LSAC GPA? Many programs don't count for LSAC.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:47 pm

bdubs wrote:Are you sure that the study abroad program grade will actually wind up in your LSAC GPA? Many programs don't count for LSAC.
My school is in the processing of converting it to 400-level credit in my major, and it will appear on my official transcript as though I took it at my undergraduate institution. I don't think that's something I have to worry about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”