I would highly appreciate thoughts/advice on my situation. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hobojarpen

Bronze

I would highly appreciate thoughts/advice on my situation.

Post by hobojarpen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Hey guys,

I'm planning submit my applications by the end of October, but I was wondering whether I should write an LSAT addendum (wherever it's applicable). You see, I'll be taking the LSAT for the third time next Saturday, with my two previous scores being 160 and 158, respectively. After getting a tutor and studying more efficiently, I've been consistently scoring 169-175 the past 1-2 weeks. In my situation, with my taking the LSAT three times and (presumably, hopefully, maybe) improving my score by 10 points, do you guys recommend that I do write an LSAT addendum?

Also, in general, how necessary is it to write supplemental essays on applications? Would it be safe to think of it as compensation if one's GPA and/or LSAT score isn't quite as high? Or, perhaps, it's more for going the extra yard when applying to one's dream school? Or, is it just recommended overall, regardless of one's application/candidacy?

Thanks in advance to all those that respond with thoughts/advice!

gandalf

New

Re: I would highly appreciate thoughts/advice on my situation.

Post by gandalf » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:03 pm

I think it would be strange to write an addendum for a possibly improved LSAT score if you don't know your Oct LSAT score to begin with.

As for the supplemental essays, I think that they are worth doing if you want to go to that school. But don't count on it as being anything more than what it is--supplemental. It will not seriously compensate for your UGPA or your LSAT score.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Some schools will require you to write an LSAT addendum for a big score increase. Read the schools' directions. If they require it, write it. If not, I wouldn't bother.

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:15 pm

Yeah, I figured as much re: supplemental essays. As for the addendum, I'll probably ask around a bit more, and make sure to double check the requirements of school applications.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:13 pm

With a third test, I would definitely recommend writing an essay, especially with that jump and especially if the school asks for it. However, I wouldn't write it until you get the score back and know what your increase was. Worst case scenario, you don't go up and look like a jackass for writing an addendum about how awesome your third score was going to be.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:34 pm

bp shinners wrote:With a third test, I would definitely recommend writing an essay, especially with that jump and especially if the school asks for it. However, I wouldn't write it until you get the score back and know what your increase was. Worst case scenario, you don't go up and look like a jackass for writing an addendum about how awesome your third score was going to be.
Shows moxie.

theadvancededit

Bronze

Post by theadvancededit » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:53 pm

hobojarpen wrote:Also, in general, how necessary is it to write supplemental essays on applications? Would it be safe to think of it as compensation if one's GPA and/or LSAT score isn't quite as high? Or, perhaps, it's more for going the extra yard when applying to one's dream school? Or, is it just recommended overall, regardless of one's application/candidacy?
For a high LSAT increase, it may be required depending on the school.

Addenda, in general, are to better inform adcomms of certain circumstances or situations that deserve explanation, like disciplinary actions or a dip/increase in GPA. Basically, it's so adcomms don't assume the worst if there is something seriously lacking or questionable in your application. It is not, however, compensation or some sort of safety net.

So, wait until you get your score back and see if you get that increase you are hoping for (and I hope you do). Then, see if your school requires an addendum. If they don't and you're still not sure, come back with the differential and we'll let you know.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:57 pm

For score increases of 4 or more points, an LSAT addendum is either required or expected.

hobojarpen

Bronze

Post by hobojarpen » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:02 pm

I guess one question I had is, if an LSAT addendum is required, am I supposed to be direct in just saying "I had more time and was better prepared"?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

freestallion

Silver

Post by freestallion » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:05 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:For score increases of 4 or more points, an LSAT addendum is either required or expected.
I have a 6 point increase and I'm not writing one. I don't think I have a good reason except I was more prepared, and I don't think I need to write that as it just sounds silly.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:46 pm

freestallion wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:For score increases of 4 or more points, an LSAT addendum is either required or expected.
I have a 6 point increase and I'm not writing one. I don't think I have a good reason except I was more prepared, and I don't think I need to write that as it just sounds silly.
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”