LOR: professor I don't know very well or supervisor I do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
epetkova

New

LOR: professor I don't know very well or supervisor I do?

Post by epetkova » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:20 am

I am seriously stressed about my LORs.

I have 1 LOR confirmed from a professor I still keep in touch with and 3 from supervisors. I'm 3 1/2 years out of university. I'm worried that 1 isn't enough from the selection committee's POV.

What do you think? Is it better to have a great LOR from a supervisor who knows you well or a from a professor who doesn’t? I'm thinking of reaching out to a professor I didn't know at all, but who gave me two As.
FYI: I'm applying to top 10 law schools. I'm competitive, but not an 'out of this world' candidate so I can't afford to make any mistakes.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Re: LOR: professor I don't know very well or supervisor I do?

Post by westinghouse60 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Are you talking about work related supervisors? 3.5 years out of UG I would think its understandable if you had more of them to write LORs than professors.

Edit: depends on the kind of work too, I would never ask any of my bosses for LORs no matter how much they knew/liked me because the jobs were all small time retail or something.
Last edited by westinghouse60 on Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: LOR: professor I don't know very well or supervisor I do?

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:32 pm

Get both. See if you can figure out whether each school prefers two academic letters. Save whichever letter you don't use for getting off WLs later.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”