ORM diversity statement? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sharrin7

New

ORM diversity statement?

Post by sharrin7 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 am

So, I am a white male from a middle class family. I did, however, grow up with an older brother who has autism and this has impacted my life to a significant degree. I am contemplating writing a diversity statement that deals with my experience (and how it relates to wanting to attend law school) but am not sure if my situation really constitutes being diverse.

My PS glances over this topic only briefly (except for one school, where I go into detail because the school has a Special Education Clinic that I would want to participate in). Any advice as to whether I should write a DS and maybe the approach that I should take would be greatly appreciated!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: ORM diversity statement?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 am

Any DS should discuss how the "diversity" you bring will impact the class as a whole. Don't feel like you can't write one just because you aren't a URM, but make sure that it ties back in to how your experiences will make the class more diverse.

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:21 am

LSAT + GPA is 99% of your admission potential. Unless this is a touchy feely/holistic school like Berkeley you are applying too, it probably makes more sens to focus on the main essay and maybe a why X essay if you are not in the target range.

sharrin7

New

Post by sharrin7 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:58 am

Thanks for the advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”