Bad stats...A lot of softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JKB

New

Bad stats...A lot of softs

Post by JKB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Hi..
I have been killing myself with the "will or will I not get accepted" question. I scored 152 on my LSAT and when LSAC evaluated my foreign transcript they lowered my GPA form 3.27 /4.0 to 3.1. Even though the school I go to uses an American grading system and curriculum. My friends tell me just mention your a homosexual boy from Saudi Arabia (thats the truth) and your not applying to any internal scholarships and your good to go.

I'm not so sure about that. I want to retake the LSAT but the problem is its not administered in Saudi Arabia or any neighboring country (except in Abu Dhabi in June). When I took the LSAT I had to go to Istanbul, Turkey and pay around 1800$ in trip expenses.

Now I need strangers to give me some advice. Please help!! :cry:

avemundi

Bronze

Re: Bad stats...A lot of softs

Post by avemundi » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:55 pm

Hey, someone with a foreign gpa here too.
I don't think your GPA being lowered will matter that much - our numerical gpas aren't factored into the law school rankings. We only get a evaluation that says 'superior' 'above average' etc etc, which I hear are pretty much considered like softs.
In your case, that'll probably work in your favor, since the schools won't see '3.1', they'll just see 'average' (I'm assuming).

I suppose the LSAT could be a problem....depending on where you want to go.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:56 pm

152 LSAT won't get you into anywhere worth going. Retake or don't go.

sfreuden

New

Post by sfreuden » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:59 pm

JKB wrote:Hi..
I have been killing myself with the "will or will I not get accepted" question. I scored 152 on my LSAT and when LSAC evaluated my foreign transcript they lowered my GPA form 3.27 /4.0 to 3.1. Even though the school I go to uses an American grading system and curriculum. My friends tell me just mention your a homosexual boy from Saudi Arabia (thats the truth) and your not applying to any internal scholarships and your good to go.

I'm not so sure about that. I want to retake the LSAT but the problem is its not administered in Saudi Arabia or any neighboring country (except in Abu Dhabi in June). When I took the LSAT I had to go to Istanbul, Turkey and pay around 1800$ in trip expenses.

Assuming this isn't a troll, this probably belongs in the "What are my chances?" thread. You should also give us some sense of which schools you're looking at.

Either way, you should retake a 152.

Total Litigator

Silver

Post by Total Litigator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:02 pm

I also wouldn't consider being a homosexual from Saudi Arabia a great soft. Sounds more like bad luck (no offense).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kapachino

Silver

Post by kapachino » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:05 pm

Total Litigator wrote:I also wouldn't consider being a homosexual from Saudi Arabia a great soft. Sounds more like bad luck (no offense).

It won't work as a soft factor, but it would make one hell of a diversity statement.

JKB

New

Post by JKB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:06 pm

sfreuden wrote:
JKB wrote:Hi..

Assuming this isn't a troll, this probably belongs in the "What are my chances?" thread. You should also give us some sense of which schools you're looking at.

Either way, you should retake a 152.

Sorry about the thread thing. I was panicking and made the account and posted. Any T-50 would be great or even a T-100. American University is my ultimate choice, but I think its way out of my league. Taking the LSAT is just too much.

JKB

New

Post by JKB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:08 pm

Total Litigator wrote:I also wouldn't consider being a homosexual from Saudi Arabia a great soft. Sounds more like bad luck (no offense).

I do also speak 4 languages (Arabic, English, French and Spanish). Non taken, I get that all the time.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:08 pm

You need to retake the LSAT. Get a good job, take another year, and sign up for the June Abu Dhabi test (that should be cheap to get to at least). Then you can go have a nice night out at the Quarter Deck in Dubai before returning home.

Try to get your LSAT to at least 165. You've got loads of time to study. Write a compelling and well-written personal statement and the GPA will likely not hurt you tremendously.

If you can't do those things - go to AUD or something. Don't they offer law degrees? Or what about American University of Sharjah - they have an affiliation with AU of some sort.

ETA: AU is an awesome choice for you. It has a strong alumni network throughout the Middle East.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JKB

New

Post by JKB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm

MumofCad wrote:You need to retake the LSAT. Get a good job, take another year, and sign up for the June Abu Dhabi test (that should be cheap to get to at least). Then you can go have a nice night out at the Quarter Deck in Dubai before returning home.

Try to get your LSAT to at least 165. You've got loads of time to study. Write a compelling and well-written personal statement and the GPA will likely not hurt you tremendously.

If you can't do those things - go to AUD or something. Don't they offer law degrees? Or what about American University of Sharjah - they have an affiliation with AU of some sort.
AUD does offer a law degree, but its based on islamic law, which is a term I totally dont agree with.

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:15 pm

JKB wrote:
AUD does offer a law degree, but its based on islamic law, which is a term I totally dont agree with.
I was thinking that was the case, but I couldn't remember. I thought I vaguely remembered them talking about instituting a new program a few years back. Too bad. The program probably wouldn't be great anyhow, but unless you seriously pull up your LSAT, neither will the American programs that will likely take you. What is your career goal? Are you looking to relocate to the US with your law degree? Softs are just that...factors that can differentiate you from someone with similar numbers. Unless you are a URM (which you aren't), they aren't going to get you in over people with far superior numbers.

JKB

New

Post by JKB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:22 pm

MumofCad wrote:
JKB wrote:
I was thinking that was the case, but I couldn't remember. I thought I vaguely remembered them talking about instituting a new program a few years back. Too bad. The program probably wouldn't be great anyhow, but unless you seriously pull up your LSAT, neither will the American programs that will likely take you. What is your career goal? Are you looking to relocate to the US with your law degree? Softs are just that...factors that can differentiate you from someone with similar numbers. Unless you are a URM (which you aren't), they aren't going to get you in over people with far superior numbers.
My ideal career goal is to work for a year or two in the US in law firm that doesnt have an office in Saudi. Then try to get it to open an office with me as partner (foreign firms cant operate in Saudi unless there's a saudi national partner)...I dont know Im just dreaming I guess!!

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:37 pm

JKB wrote:
My ideal career goal is to work for a year or two in the US in law firm that doesnt have an office in Saudi. Then try to get it to open an office with me as partner (foreign firms cant operate in Saudi unless there's a saudi national partner)...I dont know Im just dreaming I guess!!

Well, it'd have to be a big time law firm to be opening branches overseas. That means you'll need to get into a school that is at least in the top 20 or so. You will have to really study for the LSAT to make that dream come alive. You'll have no chance getting placed in this economy at a law firm with those type of resources if you go to a school far down the list. Even coming out of AU, might be a little rough unless you are toward the top of your class (though again, it does have a strong ME network of alums).

Of course, speaking and writing in Arabic is always a plus. Is your fus'ha really good or did you go to an all English school? I would also wonder with just a BA if this track is possible. I think most attorneys in the Gulf have a background in Islamic law for better or worse. I remember all the talk about ribaa and what not in the UAE last time I was there, and how laws are crafted to circumvent restrictions.

Then there is the Saudi national aspect. I've seen people do well for themselves in the Gulf based upon this card and this card alone. Still, to get there, you might need to either pad yourself with a Masters in Islamic law or an LLM (does SOAS in London offer an LLM with a certification in Islamic Law? I think it might), despite your aversion.

My first Arabic teacher was a Jordanian judge - man that guy loved case endings. blah-tun blah-tuna. I got off the plane in Syria after studying with him, and couldn't understand a single word of spoken Arabic. Sigh. He frightened me off a ME jurisprudence for life. I'm awful at case endings.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JKB

New

Post by JKB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:51 pm

MumofCad wrote:
JKB wrote:

Well, it'd have to be a big time law firm to be opening branches overseas. That means you'll need to get into a school that is at least in the top 20 or so. You will have to really study for the LSAT to make that dream come alive. You'll have no chance getting placed in this economy at a law firm with those type of resources if you go to a school far down the list. Even coming out of AU, might be a little rough unless you are toward the top of your class (though again, it does have a strong ME network of alums).

Of course, speaking and writing in Arabic is always a plus. Is your fus'ha really good or did you go to an all English school? I would also wonder with just a BA if this track is possible. I think most attorneys in the Gulf have a background in Islamic law for better or worse. I remember all the talk about ribaa and what not in the UAE last time I was there, and how laws are crafted to circumvent restrictions.

Then there is the Saudi national aspect. I've seen people do well for themselves in the Gulf based upon this card and this card alone. Still, to get there, you might need to either pad yourself with a Masters in Islamic law or an LLM (does SOAS in London offer an LLM with a certification in Islamic Law? I think it might), despite your aversion.

My first Arabic teacher was a Jordanian judge - man that guy loved case endings. blah-tun blah-tuna. I got off the plane in Syria after studying with him, and couldn't understand a single word of spoken Arabic. Sigh. He frightened me off a ME jurisprudence for life. I'm awful at case endings.
I didn't recently mastered my fus'ha when I did my internship. I lived in London for 9 years and my school taught both in English and Arabic. My University is all English though.

I applied to UF and a couple of low ranked schools. I also applied for early decision at AU. Im just waiting to take the TOEFL (which I find totally unnecessary) to submit my application. I still have my LSAT prep books and a new test book, so if it turns out as bad as think it will it will be, I'll retake. :cry:

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:03 pm

JKB wrote:
I didn't recently mastered my fus'ha when I did my internship. I lived in London for 9 years and my school taught both in English and Arabic. My University is all English though.

I applied to UF and a couple of low ranked schools. I also applied for early decision at AU. Im just waiting to take the TOEFL (which I find totally unnecessary) to submit my application. I still have my LSAT prep books and a new test book, so if it turns out as bad as think it will it will be, I'll retake. :cry:
Oh, I think you have a shot of getting in. I don't mean to discourage you. A great PS and other softs can get you over the hump at those schools. For what its worth, I recently chatted with the adcom people from American and it seems they really like to know "why law" in the PS. Not sure why, but they heavily stressed that, and I know that's not standard advice on here so take it fwiw.

I'm just more concerned about whether they will get you where you want to be should you end up in the middle of the class. I would talk to some attorneys doing what you want to be doing and see what their advice is. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about Saudi attorneys, but just trying to flag up some issues you might want to think about before making a large investment on a degree that may or may not travel across the borders you want. Best of luck!

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”