Bad LSAT score/Decent GPA Dilemma Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kess

Bronze

Bad LSAT score/Decent GPA Dilemma

Post by Kess » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:31 pm

I am taking the LSAT on October 1 and I have been studying as much as I could since June. I have honestly put in all I could and the highest I have ever scored on a practice test was 160. That was only once- I generally score between 154 and 158.

I have an LSAC GPA of 4.01. I am from NYC and really want to stay in the area. I feel like my options are so limited with an LSAT score like that. I don't want to pay 45K+ a year for NYLS. If you were me, what would you do?

zozin

Gold

Re: Bad LSAT score/Decent GPA Dilemma

Post by zozin » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Postpone until next year. Don't waste that GPA.

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:46 pm

I would do that if I felt that I didn't prepare sufficiently. I took a TestMasters course, did tons of practice questions, went over all of them, etc. I had the same scenario with the SAT back in high school. Having said that, I am also certain that pushing my admission back a year won't do much in terms of enhancing my LSAT.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:47 pm

Kess wrote:I am taking the LSAT on October 1 and I have been studying as much as I could since June. I have honestly put in all I could and the highest I have ever scored on a practice test was 160. That was only once- I generally score between 154 and 158.

I have an LSAC GPA of 4.01. I am from NYC and really want to stay in the area. I feel like my options are so limited with an LSAT score like that. I don't want to pay 45K+ a year for NYLS. If you were me, what would you do?
If you can't get your money back for this LSAT, take it, but cancel the score. It will give you some experience of the testing environment, then you can take it in December.

As far as putting in all you could, I bet you could be more efficient/effective with your studying. Someone with the ability to get a 4.01 has the ability to score above 160. It's going to take a lot of work, but with that GPA, a high LSAT can be worth a whole lot of $$$.

ETA: If you really don't think you can get above a 160, you're being a quitter.

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:51 pm

Remember there is only about 8 questions or so separating you from 160 and 166 ish.

When you take your tests, what do you review? Do you just go over the answers or do you really study WHY you are getting the questions wrong? Are you missing a lot of questions in one section like Logic Games?

For Logic Reasoning- You should be going over each individual question and figuring out "What type of question you are getting wrong." For me, most of the questions I get wrong are Justify's and Weakens. I get about 6 of those questions wrong across the two LR's. So I am focusing on nailing those out of the park. That should bring my score up about 3 points.

For Logic Games- Are you not understanding the concepts or are you running out of time? For me, I have found that grouping games burn up a lot of time and I am left rushing on the last games. So for Logic Games, I am focusing on Grouping. Repeat, Review, Repeat. This should help with speed.

As you can see, focusing on a few smaller things can bring up your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:59 pm

I would postpone until June. You have a lot of work to continue to do. I went from a 155 diagnostic to a 174. I felt like I was hitting one wall after another- a wall to break 160, a wall to get into the high 160s, a wall to get into the 170s. View your situation just as a temporary wall you need to get past and follow the study advice on here. Good luck.

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I appreciate everyone's feedback, but supposed I was set on applying for this cycle and was considering CUNY Law school, is that that a viable option?

Most of my mistakes come equally from logical reasoning and reading comp, probably slightly more on reading comp. I can't say there is any type of consistency on the type of questions I get wrong on the logical reasoning either. As for logic games, that's my best section. I generally get about 2 wrong per section.

Finally, I feel that part of the reason my GPA is decent is because the classes I took were based on a lot of oral presentations and paper writing. I had few multiple choice tests and this is something I have been bad at from childhood.

tehrocstar

Bronze

Post by tehrocstar » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:I would postpone until June. You have a lot of work to continue to do. I went from a 155 diagnostic to a 174. I felt like I was hitting one wall after another- a wall to break 160, a wall to get into the high 160s, a wall to get into the 170s. View your situation just as a temporary wall you need to get past and follow the study advice on here. Good luck.
+1 hang out around these boards, it'll might give you the inspiration and the skills/tips you need to do better. If you're able to work hard and get a 4.0+ then I'm sure you can do a lot better on the LSAT than you're currently doing.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Kess wrote:I appreciate everyone's feedback, but supposed I was set on applying for this cycle and was considering CUNY Law school, is that that a viable option?
It's only a viable option if you want to go into debt without gaining career prospects. Seriously, just improve on the LSAT and you'll be in good shape. But don't take the LSAT until you're ready to score in the high 160s at least.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:18 pm

Well, I won't really be looking at debt with CUNY since it's about 14K a year and I would be able to live at home while attending.

I definitely see where you all are coming from, I just can't see myself studying for the LSAT again after putting in so much time doing it the first around.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Kess wrote:Well, I won't really be looking at debt with CUNY since it's about 14K a year and I would be able to live at home while attending.

I definitely see where you all are coming from, I just can't see myself studying for the LSAT again after putting in so much time doing it the first around.
OP: I need some advice

(receives advice)

OP: Fuck that, I'm gonna do it my way.

Awesome thread dawg.

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:31 pm

LOL, sorry! I think I misphrased my question. I should have asked if you were me and you were thinking of applying to a cheap T3/T4 school, is that crazy? But I guess I would have had the same answer regardless :)

And in any event, I appreciate the advice.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Kess wrote:LOL, sorry! I think I misphrased my question. I should have asked if you were me and you were thinking of applying to a cheap T3/T4 school, is that crazy? But I guess I would have had the same answer regardless :)

And in any event, I appreciate the advice.
Seriously, it's cool. I was just joking around.

Just work hard and don't quit. Your GPA is something that just about every applicant is crazy jealous of. Don't throw that away by rushing into things. If you want to stay in NY, get your LSAT up to 167ish for $ at Cornell, and at 170 you'll be in really good shape at Columbia and NYU. Use that as motivation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flounder

New

Post by flounder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:42 pm

The LSAT is something that you can change. Your GPA is set in stone. There are plenty of people, like me, that need to get a high LSAT to overcome a poor GPA just to get in. You are half way there with your good GPA and if you wait a year, study like crazy and take in February or June, you could go to a better school with less/zero debt than CUNY.

Robespierre

Silver

Post by Robespierre » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:05 pm

I agree with the others. Postpone and study harder. But since you want to forge ahead:

-Take LSAT
-Get lucky on test day and get a 162.
-Go to Cardozo.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

zozin wrote:Postpone until next year. Don't waste that GPA.
I didnt read this whole thread, but I didnt need to. This is the only answer. You are above every schools GPA 75th. Dont waste your time (you dont get a 4.0 without time and effort) and money by going to a school that isnt elite. You have an elite GPA. Take the time and get your LSAT up.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Kess

Bronze

Post by Kess » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Once again, thanks everyone for your advice. I started out with a 146 diagnostic and today I took another (only 1 more diagnostic left that I didn't take) and got a 159 (yet again). I had the same story with the SATs and yet I did okay in college. This is standardized test taker's world. =(

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Law school grading is a lot more like LSAT than "normal school." A 3 hour issue spotter is basically a standardized exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”