Withdraw or suck it up? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Marie34

New

Withdraw or suck it up?

Post by Marie34 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 pm

So here's my situation. I'm currently an Accounting senior major and taking 3 400 level accounting classes (Advanced Tax, Auditing, and Cost Analysis) along with a 400 level management class (an easy one, thank God). I work 15-20 hours a week, and am an active participant in two student organizations on campus. On top of that, I'm trying to cram in studying for the October LSAT, and get all my law school apps in before Thanksgiving. In order for a grade booster, I picked up a politics class called Africa in World Politics. Seemed pretty interesting, and hopefully pretty easy. But I soon learn the class is almost requiring the same amount of work as my core accounting classes, and is taking away significant and valuable LSAT/application time. Granted the LSAT will be over in a little over a week, but of course, a major paper and presentation that make up for over 60% of my grade in the class is also scheduled within the next two weeks. With everything else going on, I can't put the proper effort I need into the class, especially the two major assignments, and I'm sure it will inevitably lower my GPA at the end of the semester. So my question is should I withdraw from the class? I don't know how a "W" looks on transcript to law schools, and I don't want it to hurt my chances getting moved up on the wait list come December if need be. So should I just withdraw or suck it up and finish the semester (which again I know will lower my GPA and take away time I could be spending on my more important classes).

cinephile

Gold

Re: Withdraw or suck it up?

Post by cinephile » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 pm

As long as it's a non-punitive W, I'd say go for it. Especially if you apply again next year, you'd want your GPA as high as possible. Besides, why stress and over-exert yourself?

Tdawg7669

New

Post by Tdawg7669 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:11 pm

One or two withdrawals wont kill you as long as they are non punitive. Just dont let it get excessive.

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:29 pm

I had the same issue, and withdrew as well. I was an accounting major, and withdrew an accounting class after my first exam. It did not hurt my chances when I applied. One or two "W''s will not hurt you. A higher LSAT score is significantly more important than not having a "W" on your transcript. Take as much time as you can to prep for the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”