A Splitter Story (T14, <2.7GPA, >175 LSAT, non-URM) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tronredo

New

Re: A Splitter Story (T14, <2.7GPA, >175 LSAT, non-URM)

Post by tronredo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Beyond these basic points of encouragement, I hope that my experience demonstrates that law school admissions for splitters is about more than just numbers. Yes, it is true that I would not have been accepted to a good school without at least one high indicator, but it is also true that my other extremely low indicator did not hold me back. I say indicator rather than determinator because for splitters numbers are just that. Looking at the numbers on law school predictors and charts can be misleading, not only because many applicants are not listed (I was specifically asked not to post my results by one school) but also because there are many other factors at play that cannot be represented by statistics.

Of course, some schools are more splitter-friendly than others. It is true that schools look at numbers as a way of sorting through applications and prioritizing candidates. As a result, I was only immediately accepted to two (top-tier) schools and wait-listed at many others. If this happens to you, consider it a good thing! It means you are still in the running. While waiting is difficult and not for everyone (I was attending my second-choice school before being admitted to my top-choice very late in the summer), the fact that you are still in consideration means that the school thinks there are enough reasons to accept you if given the space. Rather than give up, continue to express your interest in attending (my letters of continued intent consisted of a few e-mailed paragraphs), and do not be afraid to negotiate once you get in. I was never offered less money for asking, and sometimes I was given matching funds (such as here) or slightly more.

Finally, do not settle. Stick to whatever criteria are meaningful for you, and only apply to those schools which you could realistically see yourself attending. High splitters are most valuable to top schools in terms of medians, so aim reasonably high and you may be surprised at the results. This is not to discourage anyone from attending lower-ranked schools in regions or localities of interest (in my experience, I was much more likely to be accepted at local schools), but even splitters may find themselves yield-protected from schools that do not consider them likely to attend. Attending a top law school does not make you any more attractive, likable, or a better person, but it is possible to do so without having lived life to perfection. Like anything else worth doing, it just requires hard work, dedication, persistance, and a little bit of luck.

Too long; didn't read version: One-time poster rehashes several well-worn TLS themes.
I am a splitter as well with very similar number to yours. I got tired of looking at blogs that relied on LSAT and GPA. Your success story adds more fuel to my Law school drive. Thank you for this and i wish you luck in law school man.

JustThisOnce

New

Re: A Splitter Story (T14, <2.7GPA, >175 LSAT, non-URM)

Post by JustThisOnce » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 pm

tronredo wrote:I am a splitter as well with very similar number to yours. I got tired of looking at blogs that relied on LSAT and GPA. Your success story adds more fuel to my Law school drive. Thank you for this and i wish you luck in law school man.
Thank you for the kinds words, and best of luck with your cycle! I can't promise your experience will be similar to mine, but there's no reason that you can't do even better if you avoid all the mistakes I made...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”