U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Thirteen

Diamond

Re: U. of Illinois Law suspends Dean of Admissions

Post by Thirteen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 am

Thirteen wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:
Thirteen wrote:Does anyone know if there's a working link for the appendices to the report? I want to check out the data for the class of 2012, but the link on the COL's website for appendices 1-75 isn't working.
It works for me. It's 3000 pages so it takes awhile to open.
Cool, thanks. I'll pull it up tomorrow at school.
My numbers weren't changed. Sweet.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 am

Have to say for the record he has a great personal presentation style. Met him at the LSAC NYC gathering last fall and he was very informative and seemed honestly interested. I ended up at a better school but I enjoyed speaking with him. I hope he lands on his feet. It is almost impossible to believe people above him did not know or at least could have known had they wanted to.

SaintClarence27

Silver

Post by SaintClarence27 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:54 pm

I want to post Nightrunner's avatar on my facebook page and get lots of compliments.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:34 pm

michlaw wrote:Have to say for the record he has a great personal presentation style. Met him at the LSAC NYC gathering last fall and he was very informative and seemed honestly interested. I ended up at a better school but I enjoyed speaking with him. I hope he lands on his feet. It is almost impossible to believe people above him did not know or at least could have known had they wanted to.
Why would anyone wish him the best? He doesn't deserve to "land on his feet." I hope he never works in a job outside of the fast food industry.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
michlaw wrote:Have to say for the record he has a great personal presentation style. Met him at the LSAC NYC gathering last fall and he was very informative and seemed honestly interested. I ended up at a better school but I enjoyed speaking with him. I hope he lands on his feet. It is almost impossible to believe people above him did not know or at least could have known had they wanted to.
Why would anyone wish him the best? He doesn't deserve to "land on his feet." I hope he never works in a job outside of the fast food industry.
You don't believe in second chances? What he did was wrong, but he's still a man with a family to feed. Everyone makes mistakes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:
I don't get the hate. There are a small group of people that he harmed - the students above median at UIUC who would have gone elsewhere if the truth were known. What he did was wrong, but he's not Bernie Madoff.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Thirteen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
You don't believe in second chances? What he did was wrong, but he's still a man with a family to feed. Everyone makes mistakes.
Illinois 2l here. I like Pless, but before I even think about forgiving him I want him to own up to what he did and apologize first.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 pm

f7u12 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
It's a bit of a stretch to characterize this as a mistake.
Umm, who in this thread hasn't committed fraudulent behavior impacting hundreds of people at least some point their life? I can think of at least three times for me. Maybe four. It depends on how far we're going to stretch the term "people."

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:01 pm

f7u12 wrote:
Thirteen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
It's a bit of a stretch to characterize this as a mistake.
Touche. I'm biased because he's a nice guy, and because I "luckily" avoided the fallout from the scandal. As the 2L said, I think that he does owe the students and alums of Illinois Law an explanation and an apology.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:19 pm

And here comes the obligatory trib story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/educ ... 4118.story

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:23 pm

masochist wrote:And here comes the obligatory trib story

I never realized Pless didn't have a chin.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:34 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
masochist wrote:And here comes the obligatory trib story

I never realized Pless didn't have a chin.
:D

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 pm

So does this mean the ileap program is a flawed idea? I think that for students who want to stay in Illinois and not have to worry about the LSAT or admissions it could still be a good plan. The problem is that they don't ever know what other schools their high GPA could get them into and , of Clyde, now we know Illinois ranking is fabricated.

How did he fabricate number of apps? Isn't that number known?

I still don't understand why he didn't just admit students who had high scores- if he is lying about the number of apps, he is protecting his yield without needing to waitlist peoplefor yield protection.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:51 pm

sunynp wrote:So does this mean the ileap program is a flawed idea? I think that for students who want to stay in Illinois and not have to worry about the LSAT or admissions it could still be a good plan. The problem is that they don't ever know what other schools their high GPA could get them into and , of Clyde, now we know Illinois ranking is fabricated.

How did he fabricate number of apps? Isn't that number known?

I still don't understand why he didn't just admit students who had high scores- if he is lying about the number of apps, he is protecting his yield without needing to waitlist peoplefor yield protection.
To me, the main problem with iLeap is that you screw yourself if you don't get in to Illinois, because by not taking the LSAT, you rule out any other school. If you put all your eggs in the iLeap basket and you don't get in, you are waiting a year before you can apply again.

I don't think iLeap is flawed, but I do think it is only for those people who are "Illinois or bust!"

NiccoloA

Bronze

Post by NiccoloA » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Thirteen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

+1 for compassion

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:27 pm

He should go to law school!!!

oh.

BearDownChicago

New

Post by BearDownChicago » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:42 pm

In state tuition in 2006-07 was ~ $20,500 ... In state tuition in 2011-12 is ~ $35,000

Out of state tuition in 2006-07 was ~ $32,000 ... Out of state tuition in 2011-12 is ~$42,000

The inflated numbers --> inflated ranking

Inflated ranking resulted in prospective students over valuing UIUC and thus overpaying. This is called fraud.

I'd be interested to see a national tuition trend. Obviously it's increasing, but definitely not to the tune of $14,500/$10,000. There's potentially a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of damages (gross scholarships).

As an alum, at the very least, I'd like to see this fat bastard disbarred, and every article of Illinois clothing removed from his wardrobe.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:44 pm

romothesavior wrote: Why would anyone wish him the best? He doesn't deserve to "land on his feet." I hope he never works in a job outside of the fast food industry.
I would not be shocked if there were some sort of soft landing arranged for him in exchange for keeping his mouth shut. Even if nobody else were involved in this incident, he was working in admissions during the 2009 clout list scandal. Given recent events, I have some doubts he felt it was a moral obligation to reveal absolutely everything he knew to investigators when he was interviewed. He might still have some information people would like to keep buried (especially the IL AG whose father may have sold admissions to UIUC Law).

in2win

Bronze

Post by in2win » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:51 pm

LOL at Dean Pless having the face of a 22 year old and the chin of an extremely obese 60 year old

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:55 pm

BearDownChicago wrote:In state tuition in 2006-07 was ~ $20,500 ... In state tuition in 2011-12 is ~ $35,000

Out of state tuition in 2006-07 was ~ $32,000 ... Out of state tuition in 2011-12 is ~$42,000

The inflated numbers --> inflated ranking

Inflated ranking resulted in prospective students over valuing UIUC and thus overpaying. This is called fraud.

I'd be interested to see a national tuition trend. Obviously it's increasing, but definitely not to the tune of $14,500/$10,000. There's potentially a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of damages (gross scholarships).

As an alum, at the very least, I'd like to see this fat bastard disbarred, and every article of Illinois clothing removed from his wardrobe.
To be fair, they need the extra money in tuition to pay for all the million-dollar investigations done to root out corrupt school officials.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Hope the fat lying piece of shit gets whats coming to him.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:08 pm

Pless has actually lost a bunch of weight since that photo was taken. You can still call him a bastard, but technically he's not a fat bastard anymore.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Pless has actually lost a bunch of weight since that photo was taken. You can still call him a bastard, but technically he's not a fat bastard anymore.
Hope the average-build lying piece of shit gets whats coming to him

LawWeb

New

Post by LawWeb » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Well this is fitting: I had an e-mail exchange with Pless when I applied to law school. U of I waitlisted me even though I had more than good enough numbers to get in because of some minor character and fitness thing that other schools didn't care about. At that time, U of I had another little scandal, a pay for jobs scandal I think. Anyway, here was what I wrote to Pless at that time:

"The one thing I will say is that no one and nothing is Character and Fitness perfect - not even the University of Illinois. I guess that's what strikes me most. For a school that is looking to have its reputation based on its whole history rather than perhaps a few certain recent reports, you would think there would be more inclination to understand rather than less. I personally believe the first step to truly plotting a new course that puts character first is to become more understanding of imperfection. We too often see the John Edwards, who was among the most vocal Democrats in criticizing Clinton for his affair, or Eliot Spitzer, who declared punishment for prostitution should be made harsher."

Pless decided to dump me from the waitlist after I sent the e-mail. Well, at least my sniffer seemed to work in this instance...

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:21 pm

LawWeb wrote:Well this is fitting: I had an e-mail exchange with Pless when I applied to law school. U of I waitlisted me even though I had more than good enough numbers to get in because of some minor character and fitness thing that other schools didn't care about. At that time, U of I had another little scandal, a pay for jobs scandal I think. Anyway, here was what I wrote to Pless at that time:

"The one thing I will say is that no one and nothing is Character and Fitness perfect - not even the University of Illinois. I guess that's what strikes me most. For a school that is looking to have its reputation based on its whole history rather than perhaps a few certain recent reports, you would think there would be more inclination to understand rather than less. I personally believe the first step to truly plotting a new course that puts character first is to become more understanding of imperfection. We too often see the John Edwards, who was among the most vocal Democrats in criticizing Clinton for his affair, or Eliot Spitzer, who declared punishment for prostitution should be made harsher."

Pless decided to dump me from the waitlist after I sent the e-mail. Well, at least my sniffer seemed to work in this instance...
Pless's sniffer seemed to work in this instance as well...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”