Is the December LSAT too late? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Is the December LSAT too late?

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:56 pm

I have an LSAT score from a few years back but I want to retake. I haven't started to study yet and am sure the test has changed a bit, but I am worried that if I start studying now the October test is too near to reintroduce myself to the material. Does an applicant who takes the LSAT in October typically have a better cycle than one takes in December? Thank you for any advice.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Is the December LSAT too late?

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:07 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote: Does an applicant who takes the LSAT in October typically have a better cycle than one takes in December? Thank you for any advice.
All things being equal, yes. But in your case all things won't be equal since you will likely gain at least a few points on the LSAT by waiting. Wait until December, have your apps ready to go when you score comes in at the end of the year. If you don't like how things turn out, re-apply next cycle, and consider the June test next year as well.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:08 pm

All other things being equal, a 165/168/172/1xx will have a better cycle with a June or October score than someone with the exact same credentials/essays/LORs and a December test.

But a 168 in December is unquestionably better than a 165 in October. It just depends on whether you can get your best from an October test or not. There really isn't anyone here who knows you and your capabilities like you do, so that's the best answer anyone can really offer you.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote: Does an applicant who takes the LSAT in October typically have a better cycle than one takes in December? Thank you for any advice.
All things being equal, yes. But in your case all things won't be equal since you will likely gain at least a few points on the LSAT by waiting. Wait until December, have your apps ready to go when you score comes in at the end of the year. If you don't like how things turn out, re-apply next cycle, and consider the June test next year as well.
Thank you
Last edited by BlueJeanBaby on Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:20 pm

I wouldn't waste it in that situation. Take a practice test to get an idea of where you are at, and maybe spend this week studying. Take another PT on Thursday. The last day to register is Friday. If you are well off of your desired score three days from now just wait. Given these deadlines it's hard to envision a scenario where taking the October test makes sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”