LSAC Fee Waiver, Worth Apps to HYS? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ialdabaoth

Bronze

LSAC Fee Waiver, Worth Apps to HYS?

Post by Ialdabaoth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:21 pm

It's been awhile since I've been on TLS since I had almost decided I wasn't applying to law school this year, but I recently received the LSAC fee waiver and thought I might give it a shot. I'm in undergrad and have a 168 and 4.0 degree GPA (probably about 3.94 or 3.95 LSDAS) with solid but not spectacular softs. I'm not retaking the LSAT for this admissions cycle, as I'm pretty sure I'm doing something other than law school next year, but I want to apply to a few schools and see how it goes. If I do take a year off, I plan to retake the LSAT.

Berkeley and NYU are my top semi-realistic choices, and Stanford is sort of the dream. But would it be worth my time to apply to HY as well since it will be free? I'm not interested in many other schools, so I don't want to bother with blanketing the whole T14 with apps.

TIA!

The Gentleman

Silver

Re: LSAC Fee Waiver, Worth Apps to HYS?

Post by The Gentleman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Just as a heads up, Yale and Stanford don't automatically waive their app fees for LSAC fee waiver recipients. (at least they didn't last year) They make you fill out their own form for determining need based fee waivers. That said, you don't have a great shot with a sub-170 LSAT and no work experience.

Edit: I was referring to HYS.

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:56 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Just as a heads up, Yale and Stanford don't automatically waive their app fees for LSAC fee waiver recipients. (at least they didn't last year) They make you fill out their own form for determining need based fee waivers. That said, you don't have a great shot with a sub-170 LSAT and no work experience.

Ah, I didn't know that about Yale and Stanford. Thanks! And yeah, I'm trying to be very realistic and realize that I have little to no chance at HYS.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Your chances aren't good at any of the three, but if the application costs $16, it's worth it. I believe a few people got into Harvard with similar numbers last year.

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:21 pm

The Gentleman wrote:Just as a heads up, Yale and Stanford don't automatically waive their app fees for LSAC fee waiver recipients. (at least they didn't last year) They make you fill out their own form for determining need based fee waivers. That said, you don't have a great shot with a sub-170 LSAT and no work experience.

Any other schools refuse to waive the fee automatically? Also, were you referring to HYS re: the first sentence or the last?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:06 pm

vincanity1 wrote:

Any other schools refuse to waive the fee automatically? Also, were you referring to HYS re: the first sentence or the last?
Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to his chances at HYS. And Harvard does waive the app fee for LSAC fee waiver recipients.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:07 pm

If you're going to retake it anyways, I personally wouldn't go through the trouble of applying to any of those schools with a 168. The application process is enough of a pain in the ass that I'd either do it all the way or not at all.

Ialdabaoth

Bronze

Post by Ialdabaoth » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for your input, everybody!

vincanity1

Silver

Post by vincanity1 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:01 pm

The Gentleman wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to his chances at HYS. And Harvard does waive the app fee for LSAC fee waiver recipients.
By any chance could you shed some light on the need based waiver process with Yale/Stanford? Sorry for all the q's. I was under the impression all schools were obligated to waive due to the LSAC waiver

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:37 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:

By any chance could you shed some light on the need based waiver process with Yale/Stanford? Sorry for all the q's. I was under the impression all schools were obligated to waive due to the LSAC waiver
Link to SLS's Fee Waiver Instructions: http://www.law.stanford.edu/program/deg ... ctions.pdf

And YLS's says that, "if you require a need-based application fee waiver, please contact the Admissions Office."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”