A "Why Penn" essay? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
grimfan

New

A "Why Penn" essay?

Post by grimfan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:58 am

I plan to ED to Penn, and I've finished the first draft of my personal statement, which explains why I want to go to law school. I plan to write a couple of the optional essays, and I have to choose from the list of topics they give.

I thought that I would have to write a "Why Penn" essay, but that isn't one of the optional essay topics. Actually, there's a "How will Penn contribute to your five-year plan after law school?" essay, but I was expecting to write a "Why Penn (in general)" essay.

Would it be fine if I included in my other essays specific reasons why I want to go to Penn, as opposed to writing an entire essay dedicated to that topic?

Thanks!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: A "Why Penn" essay?

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:26 am

grimfan wrote: Would it be fine if I included in my other essays specific reasons why I want to go to Penn, as opposed to writing an entire essay dedicated to that topic?
If you write a supplemental essay for a school and it doesn't help explain why you want to go to that school, you're doing it wrong.

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:43 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
grimfan wrote: Would it be fine if I included in my other essays specific reasons why I want to go to Penn, as opposed to writing an entire essay dedicated to that topic?
If you write a supplemental essay for a school and it doesn't help explain why you want to go to that school, you're doing it wrong.
Good point. But they only give you 1 double-spaced page, and I run out of space very quickly.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Step 1: Come up with a post-LS Five Year Plan
Step 2: Write about how Penn will help you get there.

This is effectively a Why Penn essay, but they make it more specific to your post-graduation plans.

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:00 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Step 1: Come up with a post-LS Five Year Plan
Step 2: Write about how Penn will help you get there.

This is effectively a Why Penn essay, but they make it more specific to your post-graduation plans.
This sounds like good advice. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:16 pm

If you are reaching a bit (seeing you are ED), also focus on why you are a good fit for Penn (may take a bit of research to write something good).

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Does Penn take a "Why P" more seriously than one of the other optional essays? Because one of the optional prompts spoke to me in a way that the "Why P" didn't.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:38 pm

PSUdevon wrote:Does Penn take a "Why P" more seriously than one of the other optional essays? Because one of the optional prompts spoke to me in a way that the "Why P" didn't.
I don't know if any one is better than others, but they seem to like the art/literature one - they quote a few at orientation. I would just write 2 if you feel that you should write the why Penn one, but like another prompt better.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
PSUdevon wrote:Does Penn take a "Why P" more seriously than one of the other optional essays? Because one of the optional prompts spoke to me in a way that the "Why P" didn't.
I don't know if any one is better than others, but they seem to like the art/literature one - they quote a few at orientation. I would just write 2 if you feel that you should write the why Penn one, but like another prompt better.
The art/lit was the one I was leaning towards. Worth it to write both?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grimfan

New

Post by grimfan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:07 am

Would it be overkill to write all 4 optional essays? Because a 1 page essay isn't that much.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:35 am

PSUdevon wrote: The art/lit was the one I was leaning towards. Worth it to write both?
Totally, as long as the 5-year isn't cheesy. You'd probably be fine without writing it, if you don't really have much to say, since you are PA local (assuming you went to PSU) and you are committing through ED.

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:52 am

r6_philly wrote:
PSUdevon wrote: The art/lit was the one I was leaning towards. Worth it to write both?
Totally, as long as the 5-year isn't cheesy. You'd probably be fine without writing it, if you don't really have much to say, since you are PA local (assuming you went to PSU) and you are committing through ED.
Yeah, neither of those are the case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”