shoplifting disclosure Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lblelalr

New

shoplifting disclosure

Post by lblelalr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Back when i was 15 i got caught shoplifting by security at the mall. I was released when my parents came and although i was told i would likely receive a fine in the mail within 2-3 weeks, nothing ever came and no cops were involved. I think they just banned me from the store or something. I don't have to reveal this on the apps do I? And does anyone know if there's a way for me to check if i have a record?

minnbills

Gold

Re: shoplifting disclosure

Post by minnbills » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 pm

lblelalr wrote:Back when i was 15 i got caught shoplifting by security at the mall. I was released when my parents came and although i was told i would likely receive a fine in the mail within 2-3 weeks, nothing ever came and no cops were involved. I think they just banned me from the store or something. I don't have to reveal this on the apps do I? And does anyone know if there's a way for me to check if i have a record?
Check your record, you can contact your county's courthouse to do so. If you weren't charged or arrested you probably don't have to disclose.

kahechsof

Bronze

Post by kahechsof » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:42 pm

If cops were never involved, I don't imagine you need to report.
I have no idea how you'd check, but I think you should check.

(How about getting arrested now and see if they pull up a rap sheet?)

lblelalr

New

Post by lblelalr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:49 pm

kahechsof wrote:If cops were never involved, I don't imagine you need to report.
I have no idea how you'd check, but I think you should check.

(How about getting arrested now and see if they pull up a rap sheet?)
^ lol. bet that would make a kickass addendum

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:14 am

lblelalr wrote:Back when i was 15 i got caught shoplifting by security at the mall. I was released when my parents came and although i was told i would likely receive a fine in the mail within 2-3 weeks, nothing ever came and no cops were involved. I think they just banned me from the store or something. I don't have to reveal this on the apps do I? And does anyone know if there's a way for me to check if i have a record?
That sounds like it was just mall security/the store owner scaring you and nothing really came of it. I would check to be sure, but this is one of the few times where I think you won't end up having to disclose it.

On the other hand, schools won't care at all, so if it's going to make you nervous you can disclose it without it having an effect on you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”