What should I do?! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cj_stripe

New

What should I do?!

Post by cj_stripe » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:46 am

I am a Freshmen at Iowa State University and I am currently majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I thoroughly enjoy Aer E, but I would like to attend Law School in the future. I am currently enrolled in a Spanish class and building the starting blocks for a Spanish minor.

My question(s) is this . . . would a Spanish minor really be a big standout amongst Law Schools? I was debating dropping my Spanish class and hopes at a Spanish minor, and in turn picking up a Political Science or Economics class that would help me prepare more for Law School. I would also like to try to minor in either of those 2 areas (if I were to drop Spanish).

Also, majoring in Aerospace Engineering, what are my prospective chances for getting into Law School? Do Law Schools like having engineering students apply?

Thank you!

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: What should I do?!

Post by kahechsof » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:54 am

Get A+'s.
Also, if you have interest in being an IP lawyer, a science background is necessary, but your job prospects will still probably be better by getting A+'s and going to a better school.

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:55 am

Do something that interests you. Law schools don't care about your major, they care about your GPA. If you think you can get a 3.8+ GPA in your current major than stick with it (or if you really like it and might just go into that field...) A spanish minor will neither be impressive nor unimpressive.

Engineering degrees might be slightly more employable AFTER law school, but none of that will matter if you don't do well enough to get into a good law school anyway.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:54 pm

These guys are right. Your major matters little. If Spanish is easy for you, take it. The skill may be of use in getting a job later.

RareBreed

New

Post by RareBreed » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:19 pm

It amazes me that questions like this are still asked...

iowalum

Bronze

Post by iowalum » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 pm

First, I'm sorry you have to endure Iowa State, I know it's hard to be the second best college in the state, but keep your head up.

But - I'd say keep a few of the Spanish classes - I think that even if you don't get a full minor the experience helps with employers. I consider myself conversationally fluent and I think it's helped me, especially in certain parts of Iowa where there are a lot of Spanish-speakers. At the very least its come in handy when traveling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”