I had a great meeting with the Dean at a T14 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JurisDoctorate

Bronze

I had a great meeting with the Dean at a T14

Post by JurisDoctorate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:49 pm

I met with the Dean of a T14 on the East coast (this a nearby school to the school I'm getting my PhD) and I got some good news. They asked for me to call them once I submitted my application. I was hoping to apply before December, I didn't want to be in a late group of applications but I won't be able to take the October LSAT, so I'm taking the December one.

Do you think this "connection" or interest nullifies the fact that I'll be submitting later in the cycle? Is the only problem with submitting late, that your application goes to the bottom of the pile and is considered only after a ton of others are considered? Will it be okay that my application will be reviewed in late December?

Thanks

shoeshine

Silver

Re: I had a great meeting with the Dean at a T14

Post by shoeshine » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:14 pm

Schools like PHDs but what are your stats? Are you in the range for the school you know the dean at?

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:17 pm

I'm within both ranges, but I wanted to see if I could get above the 75th percentile on a retake.

Oh, I wasn't even thinking the grad work was that much of a boost. I just thought that he took a liking to me and was interested in seeing my app. I am just wondering if the fact that he'll pull my application once he receives it, removes the sting from applying late December.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:22 pm

No one can be sure but I am going to guess no. Unless you are a URM or have some outstanding credentials, schools generally stick to reviewing applications in the order they were submitted.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 pm

Oh, okay. That's surprising but I do value the perspective. Would it be your opinion that he was just blowing smoke, so to speak, or that he is unable to get an application, when he wants it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:38 pm

i like to think that occasionally people are genuine.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah ASSUMING that he would look at my application in late December, would that hurt my chances or would I be in similar shape as those who applied in November?

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:51 pm

JurisDoctorate wrote:Oh, okay. That's surprising but I do value the perspective. Would it be your opinion that he was just blowing smoke, so to speak, or that he is unable to get an application, when he wants it?
I'd put my money on formality. His job is to sell the school and you came out of that meeting with a gleam in your eyes. He guaranteed another applicant to his school and you thought he would give you special treatment later in the cycle. If his office even takes your call, and I wouldn't be surprised if his secretary "passes" the message on to him, nothing would probably happen. You're a name on a file in a large stack of papers. He met you for all of a half hour or hour, just like any of the other countless people streaming through his office. It won't make a difference.

JurisDoctorate

Bronze

Post by JurisDoctorate » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. If he was genuine, if he looks at my app in late December, am I in a tough position?

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 pm

i mean, if you're not taking the LSAT til december anyway what choice do you have? either you get in or you don't...you could hypothetically wait a cycle, but that's a year of your life, so it's kinda your choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”