Letters of rec from Professors with a J.D. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cotchery89

New

Letters of rec from Professors with a J.D.

Post by cotchery89 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Hey all. I'm a senior trying to figure out which professors I should attempt to get letters of recommendation from for LS. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into whether a given LS will give more weight to a recommendation from a Prof. who also went to law school/practiced law than a recommendation from a Prof. in some other field. Specifically, I am interested in figuring out whether the Prof. in question having gone to H/Y/S (for LS) would boost my chances at one of those 3 schools. Thanks.

buckilaw

Silver

Re: Letters of rec from Professors with a J.D.

Post by buckilaw » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:46 pm

I got a rec letter from a prof with a JD, a UVA grad, I think it probably helped; but, we knew each other fairly well. For letters get letters from profs who know you well enough to write a good letter, schools don't care about credentials of your letter writers all that much.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:47 pm

I disagree, especially for HYS I think it would help to have a letter from an alum professor discussing how they think you would fit in intellectually at their school.
Last edited by ladybug89 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:07 pm

If the JD is from a school you're applying to, then yes, that will probably mean something.

If it's from a different school, it's probably no better than any other professor.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:22 pm

duckmoney wrote:If the JD is from a school you're applying to, then yes, that will probably mean something.
I agree with that, but if you're going to ask a professor who doesn't know you as well just because s/he went to the school in question, you're better off asking someone who will write the better letter. That will be worth more than the alumni 'boost'.

In all honesty, you won't get much of a boost unless that person can pick up the phone, call the school, and make something happen. Especially since most professors who went to HYS did so at a time where the environment was much different than it is today, so saying that you'd fit in with the student body at their school won't mean too much.

ladybug89

Bronze

Post by ladybug89 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:51 pm

bp shinners wrote:
duckmoney wrote:If the JD is from a school you're applying to, then yes, that will probably mean something.
I agree with that, but if you're going to ask a professor who doesn't know you as well just because s/he went to the school in question, you're better off asking someone who will write the better letter. That will be worth more than the alumni 'boost'.

In all honesty, you won't get much of a boost unless that person can pick up the phone, call the school, and make something happen. Especially since most professors who went to HYS did so at a time where the environment was much different than it is today, so saying that you'd fit in with the student body at their school won't mean too much.
Agree with both of the above. (but in my defense, my prof graduated fairly recently.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”