Undergrad transcript error Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
redsox0215

New

Undergrad transcript error

Post by redsox0215 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:17 am

I transferred from one school to another during undergrad. I used my first semester transcript to turn in the initial application and was accepted by my new university. During the second semester at the old school, I also took classes at a community college for the first time. I figured the new university would ask for both the updated transcript from the old university and the new transcript from the community college but they accepted me without either. They never notified me that I needed to turn those in. The only correspondence I got from them was new student orientation material. I didn't think it was a big deal and went on taking classes. I graduated from that school with a degree and worked for 2-3 years. Now, I'm looking to go back to a university some pre-law coursework for a year before applying to law school. I see in the application that it says I cannot withhold any educational history. However, when I look back, that seems to be exactly what happened with me when I transferred. The school I graduated from does not even have a transcript saying I went to that community college (I never needed the credits to transfer to take other classes so it never came up). What do I do in this situation? If I notify my alma mater, will I get in trouble for what seems to be their administrative error? If I leave it as it is, since this was 6 years ago, will I get in trouble with law schools or for the board later on? Sorry for the long question. I really appreciate anyone's help. Thanks

redsox0215

New

Re: Undergrad transcript error

Post by redsox0215 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:22 am

at the end - i meant the bar examination, don't know why I said the 'board'. Thanks

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:57 am

You submit your transcripts separately to LSAC. They process the transcripts and make an academic summary report for law schools to use for admissions. No need to send anything to your alma mater about your prior transcripts, just request one be sent to LSAC from all institutions you attended before graduating.

redsox0215

New

Post by redsox0215 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 am

right... but when I submit to LSAC, if I submit all of the transcripts, won't it show that my final transcript from the alma mater does not have on there that I went to the community college? Because, right now, the transcript just lists that I transferred my old university, has no mention about the community college.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 am

No, I had credits from CC that I never bothered to transfer but I still had to report to LSAC. That is common and nobody cares.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

capsfan

New

Post by capsfan » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:50 pm

Also, what do you mean by pre-law school coursework?

If you already have a degree your LSDAS GPA is already locked in to what you've already completed. Taking any additional classes would be pointless.

redsox0215

New

Post by redsox0215 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:05 pm

Well, I guess I misspoke. I meant that I wanted to go back to school to strengthen my application. I went to school for a double major in biochemistry and business. I graduated and then worked so I lost touch with my professors and have only taken about 3 or 4 classes that are related to law (business law, the usual government classes, and a course in international relations). So, I felt that I should go back and take some more courses while working in a law environment (need to research that aspect more but I wouldn't be going back to school until next year). This would help me get more experience and would also help me get good recommendation letters. Is that a bad plan?

Splitter12

New

Post by Splitter12 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:14 pm

Have you already taken the LSAT? If not, then that time would be better spent preparing for it.
No real point in taking college courses that won't improve your odds in your adm. cycle.

Best of luck.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:17 pm

redsox0215 wrote:Well, I guess I misspoke. I meant that I wanted to go back to school to strengthen my application. I went to school for a double major in biochemistry and business. I graduated and then worked so I lost touch with my professors and have only taken about 3 or 4 classes that are related to law (business law, the usual government classes, and a course in international relations). So, I felt that I should go back and take some more courses while working in a law environment (need to research that aspect more but I wouldn't be going back to school until next year). This would help me get more experience and would also help me get good recommendation letters. Is that a bad plan?
It's unnecessary. Just work on getting the job in the legal field and don't worry about extra classes related to law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”