Resume size Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
quidprobono

New

Resume size

Post by quidprobono » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:17 pm

What's the recommended resume size? I've heard 1-2 pages, but I want to hear what others think. What do you consider excessive? What are your strategies for condensing several years of work and academic experience into such a short space? Can you point to any successful examples?

elibrarian

Bronze

Re: Resume size

Post by elibrarian » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:25 pm

The all important Ivey book says one page unless you have a ridiculous reason (curing cancer, twenty years work experience, etc) to make it longer. I think it is doable to limit it to a page. I actually like the examples in the book as well and I believe Harvard's website has a few examples as well.

quidprobono

New

Post by quidprobono » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:33 pm

HLS has sample resumes for current students (--LinkRemoved--). Are these what you're talking about?

MumofCad

Silver

Post by MumofCad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Harvard has several - 2 are 1 page, another is 2 pages. 1-2 pages is fine. There is no way I could include all of my relevant work experience, degrees, and awards on a single page unless I didn't give any indication of what I did in those jobs, cut out prestigious awards, or took out one of my degrees. I am a non-trad though. Its not like I'm including stuff from high school.

I think you just need to be judicious and realistic and keep it to 2 pages. No more than a few bullet points for each job (some of my positions have none, because they are self-explanatory like being a teaching assistant). I showed it to a friend that does pre-law advising and he said, "Normally, I would recommend 1 page, especially for those coming out of undergrad directly, but in your case I can't see anything that I would cull." So I think it varies. Use your best judgement about whether the stuff you are including is actually useful and prestigious. If its not, then take it out.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”