A timing question. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Opie

Silver

A timing question.

Post by Opie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 am

So, everyone agrees that earlier is better, but here's a dilemma I'm thinking about today:

Should I submit my application on 10/26 when my LSAT scores should be available, or should I wait until 11/10ish when I will have completed one more class at my UG school (we don't use a semester-based calendar and go year-round, which is why I'm completing a class in early November)?

I know both are fairly early, but is the two week delay worth the additional A? The A is almost guaranteed as it's a leadership class that should be cake.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: A timing question.

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:39 pm

Wait until your LSDAS report reflects the additional "A".

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks! I thought maybe there would be a heated debate, but apparently it's not that controversial.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:34 pm

I would turn it in sooner and update your LSAC when your grade comes in and notify your schools. Just me tho.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:00 pm

Unless that single A gets you over the median at your dream school, I would submit early and update my transcript when the grade comes in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Unless that single A gets you over the median at your dream school, I would submit early and update my transcript when the grade comes in.
This. Especially since you may complete the class 11/10ish, but then your school has to report it, you have to get it from your school, and LSAC has to send out the academic summary report to your schools. If it gets you above median then wait, but if not I'd just submit early and then update LSAC when the new grade gets in (LSAC will automatically update your schools, and they'll take the new GPA into consideration if they haven't decided yet)

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm already about .1 over the median, so that's not an issue, and this won't take me above the 75th percentile, so I think I will apply as early as possible and then amend.

That leads me into a new matter: I will complete a total of three classes after submitting my app. Do I amend after each one, or just after all of them?

The last one will be complete on 2/16 and I should have grades within a week after that. I know this is getting down to splitting hairs, but my goal is as much scholarship money as possible (I don't think getting in will be a problem provided I do close to as well as I have been doing on LSAT prep tests).

lawgod

Bronze

Post by lawgod » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:59 pm

Whats the most important part of a joke timing.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:34 am

Opie wrote:I'm already about .1 over the median, so that's not an issue, and this won't take me above the 75th percentile, so I think I will apply as early as possible and then amend.

That leads me into a new matter: I will complete a total of three classes after submitting my app. Do I amend after each one, or just after all of them?

The last one will be complete on 2/16 and I should have grades within a week after that. I know this is getting down to splitting hairs, but my goal is as much scholarship money as possible (I don't think getting in will be a problem provided I do close to as well as I have been doing on LSAT prep tests).
If they all bring your GPA up, update after each grade is submitted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:30 am

You'd be fine waiting. The general rule of thumb is by Halloween you're early, by Thanksgiving you're on time and by Christmas you're late.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Okay, what I think I will do is this:

Submit the app on October 26 or thereabout when LSAT scores come in.

Update after I finish my leadership class in mid-November (provided my GPA increases).

Update again after the last two classes are done (they finish in mid-January and mid-February and hopefully I'll already be accepted and not worrying about it by then).

If I'm waitlisted or otherwise not accepted, I might update each time I get a grade and see what that does. I don't think it will come to January though because I'm already above median for GPA and my projected LSAT is 10 points above the 75th percentile.

Now, all of this could change when I get my LSAT score. Speaking of which, time to go take another prep test.

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Opie wrote:Okay, what I think I will do is this:

Submit the app on October 26 or thereabout when LSAT scores come in.

Update after I finish my leadership class in mid-November (provided my GPA increases).

Update again after the last two classes are done (they finish in mid-January and mid-February and hopefully I'll already be accepted and not worrying about it by then).

If I'm waitlisted or otherwise not accepted, I might update each time I get a grade and see what that does. I don't think it will come to January though because I'm already above median for GPA and my projected LSAT is 10 points above the 75th percentile.

Now, all of this could change when I get my LSAT score. Speaking of which, time to go take another prep test.
This is what you should do.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”