Application Timeline Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kekepania

New

Application Timeline

Post by kekepania » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:53 pm

I am only applying to one school (my state school) because I am dead set on staying in my state for the rest of my life. Anyway, I just decided to apply to law school and will be taking the LSAT in December. I would take it in October, but I need the time, especially since I am working part-time and going to grad school full time. I plan to complete the LSAC application immediately when it comes out so I don't have to worry about it and I can just focus on my LSAT. I'm curious though, will law schools review my app when I submit, or do they wait until the CAS report is submitted. I know I have until February, but I feel that applying as early as possible will help. Thanks!

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Re: Application Timeline

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:07 pm

kekepania wrote:I am only applying to one school (my state school) because I am dead set on staying in my state for the rest of my life. Anyway, I just decided to apply to law school and will be taking the LSAT in December. I would take it in October, but I need the time, especially since I am working part-time and going to grad school full time. I plan to complete the LSAC application immediately when it comes out so I don't have to worry about it and I can just focus on my LSAT. I'm curious though, will law schools review my app when I submit, or do they wait until the CAS report is submitted. I know I have until February, but I feel that applying as early as possible will help. Thanks!
Afaik, schools don't consider your app until everything (including/especially lsat scores) are in. Also, you're applying very late into the cycle if you're planning on waiting for December. What is your gpa and what school are you shooting for?

kekepania

New

Post by kekepania » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:39 pm

Hawaii.
UG: 3.6
Masters: 4.0 (still have one more year left)

I was also considering the option of a law school visit so I could try to meet some people that are hopefully involved with admissions. Does that typically happen at law school visits? Does it help your chances?

UMiamiCane

Bronze

Post by UMiamiCane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:54 pm

I was wondering what state you lived on that you were dead set on staying...Hawaii...yep that makes sense :)

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 pm

kekepania wrote:Hawaii.

I was also considering the option of a law school visit so I could try to meet some people that are hopefully involved with admissions. Does that typically happen at law school visits? Does it help your chances?
A couple things:
- Check out lawschoolnumbers.com
- I'm jealous you live in Hawaii
- Your master's GPA will not help you w/admissions (jsyk)
- LS visits are useful for determining if you would enjoy the school/campus/students/atmosphere/etc, but do not have any bearing on admissions
- Take a practice LSAT ASAP to guage how well you're doing. Then go on Law School Numbers/Law School Predictor and see how your stats stack up against the rankings of your school. If you're above median in both aspects, you're in a good place. If you're below on both or below on one, then you might have a bit of a harder time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrtoren

Silver

Post by mrtoren » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:46 pm

kekepania wrote:Hawaii.

Admissions counselors meet with dozens, if not hundreds, of potential applicants. Some schools have thousands visit. They will never remember your face, let alone your name. Nor do they care about you. Applying as late in the cycle as you plan to could be a bad move. You need to weigh the timing. You may have a little less study time, but applying early will offer more slots and more scholarship money. I say knuckle under, get the studying done, and take it in October. Hawaii isn't insanely hard to get into with decent numbers...applying earlier is always better than later though.

D1989

New

Post by D1989 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Just checked University of Hawaii's LSN page for last cycle and was wondering why nearly everyone was rejected? Do they almost exclusively admit HI residents or what?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”