Reapplying to schools that accepted previously Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
srilina

New

Reapplying to schools that accepted previously

Post by srilina » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:43 am

I initially applied rather late (in January) and got into my dream school (T10) with very little financial aid (8k) and a lower T20 with a pretty good scholarship (28k a year). I decided to attend the T20 and am regretting that decision.

My options seem to be to go with the T20 and either stick with it or try and transfer, OR to withdraw and re-apply to the dream school and possibly a few others. Does anyone know anything on how schools view reapplicants who were admitted the first time around? I'm assuming I'll need to include an addendum explaining why I didn't attend the first time, and a PS update...but I am a little concerned this could all result in me winding up somewhere totally different and possibly lower ranked.

Numbers: 165/3.92 and some good softs (but nothing lined up yet for this year...)

Thanks for the help!

PDaddy

Gold

Re: Reapplying to schools that accepted previously

Post by PDaddy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:23 am

The fact that you were admitted before bodes well for you in terms of straight re-admission. However, I once turned down a very good private law school that had offered me a 75% scholly, and the next year they yield-protected on me and sent me to the WL. I think this may happen more as an exception than the rule.

In retrospect, I should have written an addendum explaining what had happened, but I didn't, and it cost me. The other schools I had previously been admitted to all re-admitted me and offered better terms (more $$$, lower minimum GPA, or both).

If you got in once, you obviously have at least a decent shot at re-admission. If you apply really early and explain in an addendum that your prior abstinence was finance-related, maybe they will ante up and offer you more aid.
Last edited by PDaddy on Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilverE2

Silver

Re: Reapplying to schools that accepted previously

Post by SilverE2 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:27 am

PDaddy wrote:The fact that you were admitted before bodes well for you in terms of straight re-admission. However, I once turned down a very good private law school that had offered me a 75% scholly, and the next year, they yield-protected on me and sent me to the WL. I think this may happen more as an exception than the rule.

In retrospect, I should have written an addendum explaining what had happened, but I didn't, and it cost me. The other schools I had previously been admitted to all re-admitted me and offered better terms (more $$$, lower minimum GPA, or both).

If you got in once, you obviously have at least a decent shot at re-admission. If you apply really early and explain in an addendum that your prior abstinence was finance-related, maybe they will ante up and offer you more aid.
Same thing happened to me in regards to acceptance one year, waitlist the next.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”