"Honors College" - Is it a soft? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kingjones59

Bronze

"Honors College" - Is it a soft?

Post by kingjones59 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:29 am

Hey guys, I have never seen anyone post this before so I thought I would post the question. I go to a Top-75 Undergrad (large, public state-school) but I am in their "Honors College". Does anyone have any experience with how law schools look at this? I have a 3.95 and 165 (retaking in October) and was wondering if this helps out my ranking for my undergrad a little bit for the top schools, or is this just seen merely as a "soft"? thank you!

Knock

Platinum

Re: "Honors College" - Is it a soft?

Post by Knock » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 am

kingjones59 wrote:Hey guys, I have never seen anyone post this before so I thought I would post the question. I go to a Top-75 Undergrad (large, public state-school) but I am in their "Honors College". Does anyone have any experience with how law schools look at this? I have a 3.95 and 165 (retaking in October) and was wondering if this helps out my ranking for my undergrad a little bit for the top schools, or is this just seen merely as a "soft"? thank you!
By and large, your undergrad doesn't matter at all. So being in the honors college won't really make a difference.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:10 pm

nope.avi

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:28 pm

95% of the decision will be based on your LSAT/GPA, but I do think being in the honors college at least shows that you didn't slack off at a big state school. It won't be a huge soft by any means, but I do think it gives a favorable impression.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:31 pm

^ Can't say it any better. FWIW, I'm in a similar situation (re: state school, honors college, similar GPA, LSAT in October).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:47 pm

Graduate from the honors college at a large state school. Had a 3.9+. I would say that it had little (re: so incredibly minimal) to no impact on my cycle.

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:54 pm

Is it a soft? Yeah, everything that isn't hard numbers is a soft. It is just something to put on your resume that will hopefully give a good picture of you as a prospective student. It isn't going to do anything for you other then provide you with something decent to help fill out your resume.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”