Should i add a sociology minor or just take easy electives? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
crazi4law

New

Should i add a sociology minor or just take easy electives?

Post by crazi4law » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:28 am

im a rising sophomore in college, majoring in finance. i'm trying to decide what classes to take next semester and beyond. i realize that either would probably help my GPA, but would it make any difference to law schools if they see me pursue a sociology minor (20 units) or would it not be much different if i just took random easy electives (ex. 101 classes) instead?

i am already pursuing a chinese minor (though i am chinese). while the sociology minor classes all seem decently easy, im sure i could find many more easier classes at my school.

help would be much appreciated
(ps im aiming for top 8 law schools)

Bumi

Silver

Re: Should i add a sociology minor or just take easy electives?

Post by Bumi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:31 am

I can't even remember if I put my minor on my application anywhere.

edit: just checked. It does not even appear on my transcript. I can't imagine what good two minors would do you.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 am

just take easy classes. also i like this new T8 concept you've invented.

firemed

Silver

Post by firemed » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:21 am

Easy classes are TCR on this board... but I like to think that if you can take the occasional hard class and get an A that will be good for your soul/self-esteem/etc.

Also, I really liked sociology, personally... take a 100 level class of it and if you like it they are pretty easy... I noticed the people who disliked soc were always the ones getting Cs.

KeepitKind

Bronze

Post by KeepitKind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:30 am

what's easier than sociology?
and..
crazi4law wrote: im sure i could find many more easier classes at my school.
- maybe u should try an english writing class

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dkt4

Bronze

Post by dkt4 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 am

this approach toward education always baffles me.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:35 am

unfunny joke deleted.
Last edited by Bumi on Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:36 am

dkt4 wrote:this approach toward education law school admissions always baffles me.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:42 am

1) If you're gunning for the very top law schools, GPA matters more than anything else (at least in terms of your college education). It matters more than what college you're attending, what your major is, and certainly more than your minor (or even if you have a minor at all). Think about it first and foremost in terms of what it will do to your GPA. Only consider it if you think going for the sociology minor won't hurt your GPA compared to taking fluff filler courses.

2) That said, if you think you could do well, taking some more real substantive courses in another subject might be valuable someday. I'm not talking about getting into law school or anything while you're in law school, but I'm just saying that toward the top, it seems like the most successful people are well-rounded and have varied backgrounds and experiences to draw on. Sociology and finance are not exactly similar, and I honestly think a lawyer could benefit a lot from a basic understanding of both, even if those benefits aren't visible in any obvious or tangible way.

Think about it in those terms. Your GPA comes first, hands down, but if you think that won't be a factor, then think about just getting the most out of your college experience. A focus on sociology might be marginally more valuable than taking random disposable fluff.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:50 am

I padded my GPA quite a bit with 1 and 200 level classes and am glad I did. With a good LSAT it appears the substance behind the GPA means nil.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:52 am

f7u12 wrote:I don't think a sociology focus is distinguishable from random disposable fluff.
Individual classes are kind of a crapshoot, but if you keep studying the same thing over and over, you increase the odds of getting something out of it. I didn't say it'd be a huge difference. I mean, either way, we're talking about UG classes.

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:21 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I padded my GPA quite a bit with 1 and 200 level classes and am glad I did. With a good LSAT it appears the substance behind the GPA means nil.
Yeah but you objectively underperformed your numbers, especially considering that your apps were sent pretty early. So that would suggest maybe there was something unsavory about all the fluff classes. Clearly you wanted to stay in NE but there are applicants who applied to BU with a lower GPA and LSAT, and submitted over two months later than you, and got the same money and accepted without getting filtered through a waitlist (but ultimately went to better schools with good money as well). If anything your experience would suggest the opposite view, that fluff classes harm your chances. But CW on TLS is still that they do not.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:13 pm

robotclubmember wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:I padded my GPA quite a bit with 1 and 200 level classes and am glad I did. With a good LSAT it appears the substance behind the GPA means nil.
Yeah but you objectively underperformed your numbers, especially considering that your apps were sent pretty early. So that would suggest maybe there was something unsavory about all the fluff classes. Clearly you wanted to stay in NE but there are applicants who applied to BU with a lower GPA and LSAT, and submitted over two months later than you, and got the same money and accepted without getting filtered through a waitlist (but ultimately went to better schools with good money as well). If anything your experience would suggest the opposite view, that fluff classes harm your chances. But CW on TLS is still that they do not.
Meh, I'm interpreting the BU waitlist as YP. He probably wrote them a letter saying he had to stay local and was admitted instantly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robotclubmember

Silver

Post by robotclubmember » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:23 pm

That's very very possible, and likely probable. I meant, I don't take his cycle as evidence that padding your GPA with basket-weaving leads to good results (though it isn't conclusive evidence they hurt you either, though it lends itself to that suggestion).

Yeshia90

Silver

Post by Yeshia90 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

As a Soc major...yeah, I got nothing.

But it's my second major, so at least I don't look like a total schlub.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:55 pm

The general consensus (at least at my UG) is that minors are pointless except to pursue your own interests. My UG doesn't even mention minors on transcripts or diplomas. Don't make more work for yourself than absolutely necessary. Having said that, if you are really looking for "more easier" classes you should consider ENG1101.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 pm

If you have a sociology minor everyone will see that you took fluff classes. If you just take fluff classes they'll have to inspect your transcript. Nobody would take the time to do that.

Off Topic: Minors are the biggest fucking flame in education. Taking 2- 200 level Sociology classes a 2-300 level doesn't teach you shit.

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:44 pm

ahduth wrote:
robotclubmember wrote:
Meh, I'm interpreting the BU waitlist as YP. He probably wrote them a letter saying he had to stay local and was admitted instantly.
It was YP, I sent a loci and got a call shortly after and the dean said as much during the call. I also got a lot more $$ than even the early admits.
Im not saying you should aspire to take every shortcut but when I look at my transcript and my UG vs my admits I cant say that it held me back. Maybe from Yale but that was a longshot anyway.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”