How many LOR's? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ohyouknow

New

How many LOR's?

Post by ohyouknow » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:44 pm

After much struggle, I finally have 2 undergrad professors writing me recommendations that I am confident will be good.

I can get quite a few work experience recs that I know will be good. How many is too many? There are 2 that I know for sure I want to get: 1 from a post-grad year long fellowship in public service (I want to do public interest law), and 1 from my supervisor at the law firm I will be working at while I'm applying. Is 4 too many? Is 4 okay? Are the professors the only ones that will matter? Would having more than 4 help at all? Would it hurt?

Thanks for your help guys. TLS has been amazing in answering my question so far, and I really appreciate it. Sorry if this has been answered a million times before-- I did a quick pass through the last couple pages of threads and didn't find anything, and I wasn't sure exactly what to search for.

Legal Baller

New

Re: How many LOR's?

Post by Legal Baller » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:55 pm

I think three is better than four. You don't want them to just skim over your letters because you have so many. Use the two from your professors and the employment letter which you think will be strongest

Samara

Gold

Re: How many LOR's?

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:16 pm

At most places, Northwestern being the notable exception, academic LsOR are generally more valuable than work related, unless you've been out of school for a long time. If you're applying to NU, I'd say include a fourth one. Otherwise, only include a fourth if it's very good and speaks to a different set of skills or experience than your other letters.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”