Applying from abroad Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kaveman

New

Applying from abroad

Post by kaveman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:14 am

I did undergrad in the States and graduated about a year ago. I want to apply to law school this fall, but I'm abroad and would like to stay abroad while I do so. Any pitfalls or hurdles that I should expect, maybe with regard to letters of rec, transcripts, or anything else? Thanks in advance.

Moxie

Silver

Re: Applying from abroad

Post by Moxie » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:26 am

As long as you can contact professors for LORs (and provide them with information to write the best rec possible), that shouldn't be an issue. Granted, it would be better to sit down in person with them and discuss your desire to attend law school, but that can obviously be done via phone or email.

The only possible downside is possible LS interviews (only offered or required by a handful of schools). Obviously you would need to find a way to accomodate those situations.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:30 am

Are you applying as an in-state applicant anywhere? I applied while abroad and was disqualified for in-state tuition for listing a foreign address and phone number. This might depend on your state of residency.

kaveman

New

Post by kaveman » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:34 pm

cinephile wrote:Are you applying as an in-state applicant anywhere? I applied while abroad and was disqualified for in-state tuition for listing a foreign address and phone number. This might depend on your state of residency.
I'll be applying in state to CA schools. My permanent address is still in CA. By the time I send in my apps, I'll only have been gone for like 3 months, and another 3 or 4 after.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:40 pm

Moxie wrote: The only possible downside is possible LS interviews (only offered or required by a handful of schools). Obviously you would need to find a way to accomodate those situations.
Even this isn't a huge problem I had a friend in Thailand that did a couple of interviews on skype and he did one for Vanderbilt with an alumni who worked in Bangkok.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:57 pm

kaveman wrote:
cinephile wrote:Are you applying as an in-state applicant anywhere? I applied while abroad and was disqualified for in-state tuition for listing a foreign address and phone number. This might depend on your state of residency.
I'll be applying in state to CA schools. My permanent address is still in CA. By the time I send in my apps, I'll only have been gone for like 3 months, and another 3 or 4 after.
Hopefully you'll be okay. I still listed my permanent address as in OH, but they stated that since I would have been out of the state for 6+ months out of the 12 months prior to matriculation, that I didn't get residency.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”